Chapter 20: Toughen up

3 months later

Dean

"Again" he ordered.

Getting into position, I stared at the 3 men intently, assessing their every move as they slowly circled around me like sharks.

I could see James watching from the sideline yelling out stern commands to me as I got myself mentally ready for the strike.

"Remember, focus on your breathing" James shouted and before he could say another word, one of the men launched their fist at my stomach.

Pushing against his incoming arm, I stepped back causing the man to stumble forwards and glare at me probably feeling insulted that a 12 year old dodged them easily.

"That's it! Stay focused!" James yelled as he crouched down to get a better look.

Feeling adrenaline flowing through my veins, I stood back up and looked at the other men as they jumped forwards.

Ducking under the arms intended to grab me, I spun my leg round with sheer force and growled out as my shoe hit one of the men on the back of his thigh making him crumple to the floor.

Standing back up to my full height, I smiled at the achievement of knocking a man twice the size of me down onto his knees.

"DEAN!".

Looking at James startled by the anger in his voice, I frowned as his face full of pride was now one of worry.

Before I could plan my next move, a fist connected with my stomach.

Leaning forwards, I held my stomach tightly as I felt the oxygen leave my body.

James lifted his hands to his head and his face twisted into one of anguish.

He had asked his men to not strike me, but I refused it and ordered for them to fight properly. This was my new reality. A reality in which Adam and his sick men wouldn't hold back. I had to toughen up for Lucy.

"Look at him. Weak" the man taunted whilst slapping the other man's back.

Clutching my stomach, I looked up at James to see him now giving me a reassuring look. He nodded at me before crouching down once again.

The men laughed at me as I kept my eyes focused on the training mat I was standing on.

"Lucy doesn't stand a chance with a brother as weak as"-

Faster than he could blink, I threw my fist at the man's face and stepped back in shock as 2 teeth fell out of his mouth along with a dribble of blood.

I watched in horror as he clamped his hand over his mouth before looking down to see 2 missing teeth.

"YES! That's my boy. Hey, don't look at me like that Jarred, you taunted him" James laughed as he urged me to keep going with his eyes.

"Adam will steal her away and"-

Kieran stepped forward and tried to grab me whilst taunting me, but I was already seeing red at the mention of Adam daring to even touch a hair on my baby sister's head.

With his hands wrapped around my waist, I wrapped my hand around his wrist just like James taught me to and quickly threw my head back.

Grimacing at the crunch of Kieran's clearly broken nose, I spun round with Kieran's wrist still in my tight grip and twisted it to an unsightly angle.

Watching him with a fierce intensity, I watched as the 6ft 2 tall man quickly collapsed to his knees begging me to stop as I continued to twist his wrist.