Chapter 10: We're safe

Dean

The sunlight had just started to shine through the thin curtains of the hotel room. Lucy was tucked into my side, little snores sounded from out of her opened wide mouth. I'd like to say I had a peaceful sleep, but that wasn't the case.

I knew this was a dodgy hotel from the moment we stepped foot in the lobby. But it didn't matter, as long as Lucy got some decent sleep and a warm bath then I didn't care.

But I couldn't sleep. Not with all the bangs, loud people talking, laughing and creaking hallways and doors. I had to stay awake in case someone broke in and tried to hurt us, or worse, they'd take Lucy away from me. So for the whole night, Lucy slept into my side with her little bunny whilst I was on guard.

I knew I'd regret not sleeping. I hadn't slept properly since before mum and dad's death. But we were just two kids lost in society and it was my responsibility as the older brother to protect Lucy. And someone could strike at night whilst I was sleeping, I couldn't risk it.

We needed to find Mr Richardson by today. I needed access to a computer so I could find his office in hopes of getting help.

But first things first. Breakfast. I'll treat her to her favourite, pancakes.

Looking down at Lucy who was still sleeping peacefully on the double bed, I lent down and kissed her on her cheek smiling as she made an adorable little noise subconsciously.

Slowly climbing off the bed, I walked over to the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I'd take the quickest shower possible just in case someone decided to enter our hotel room whilst I was in the bathroom.

**********

I thought a shower would wake me up a little. I was wrong. If anything it made me feel worse. It felt good to be clean, but it didn't help my aching swollen eyes.

I did however, feel good to brush my teeth. We had left almost everything behind at the police station including our personal hygiene items. So with the money that I had, I made sure to buy soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste and a little hairbrush and clips for Lucy.

I had also spent the night hand washing our clothes. I discovered some clothes in the cupboard, probably left behind by someone else. They were men's clothes and were much too big, but it didn't matter. The clothes I hand washed with soap in the bath last night were now dry. They had to be washed. Lucy and I only had the clothes we had worn since everything had happened. I didn't want to grab attention through our dirty and smelly clothes.

I knew little about washing as mum always did it, but I knew soap would be the best option for what little we had.

Throwing the oversized clothes from off my body, I put my clean clothes back on me and dried my hair.

I looked a bit better, but felt like death.

Rubbing my tired eyes, I walked away from the mirror and back into the bedroom. I looked over at the bed expecting to see Lucy sleeping, but my heart dropped seeing her sat up in bed crying whilst wrapped up in my jacket.

"B-baby, no. Don't cry".

Running over to her, I scooped her into my arms and crashed her into my body. She rubbed her face on my shirt as her cries quietened down.

"Why are you crying?" I asked as I pulled her back.

"Dee gone" she sniffled, her body hiccuping as she looked up at me.

"No baby. Dee back now. I had to take a shower, Dee smelly".

I wafted my hand in front of my nose and scrunched my face up in disgust. Lucy started to laugh which only spurred me on to do it even louder.