Chapter 23: Watch over her

Dean

It was as if time had come to a complete halt.

Our eyes were locked as his lips moved up into a sinister smirk.

He knew. He knew from one simple glance.

But as I began to take in every small detail, his eyes moved to the one person I never wanted him to know about.

Knowing James would be turning up at any moment, I slowly stood up and sat in the chair next to Lucy blocking her from Adam's intense gaze.

I wanted to make it very clear that he wouldn't be getting close to my sister.

Pulling my jacket back to reveal my concealed gun, I held my head high as Adam's smile only widened as he got the message loud and clear.

Just as he started getting out of the car, 3 black SUV's turned up blocking his view from us.

And just like that, the coward jumped into his car and sped away faster than I thought possible.

Relaxing into the chair and resting my palm over my racing heart, I scooped up Lucy and cuddled her close. My eyes fell shut as I rested my nose on her hair smelling her favourite shampoo which smelt of mint and apple.

"Dee? Crying! Stop it. Smile".

Looking up in confusion, Lucy was staring straight at me whilst gently rubbing her fingers under my eyes.

I didn't even realise I was crying. But I knew it was the fear of losing Lucy that was breaking me.

"It's alright Dean, he's gone. I'm here now. Are you okay?".

James rushed into the restaurant with 3 men behind him.

He got down on his knees checking both of us over before staring at me with such intensity.

"Thank you" I whispered out whilst trying to be strong.

James patted me on my shoulder before throwing a couple of £20 notes down on the table before quickly escorting both Lucy and I out.

Of course, his guards had the measly task of carrying all of the gifts I had spoilt Lucy with.

But even with James' hands on both of my shoulders and his men either side of us, I still felt on edge.

He knew. Adam knew. He saw us, and he was hunting us down. And now he knew of Lucy and there was no doubt in my mind that he'd put everything into getting her. He was a sick man and I'm sure he'd have sick plans for an innocent girl.

"I want him dead James. I want him dead" I whispered out as Lucy sang loudly whilst being in her own little world.

"I know buddy. I know" he replied, but his focus was on his car.

But in a split second, my eyes caught glimpse of Adam hiding away in his car parked slightly around the corner.

"He knows and he will not lose the chance to take you and Lucy. My boy, he will never stop hunting you down, but he will come for you last. Lucy is your world, my little princess and he will destroy her in hopes of you destroying yourself. Take control of your life my son and never be afraid to do what you think is right for your sister. Your mum and I are so incredibly proud of you and we love you so much. Stay strong and stay in control".

Hearing my father's comforting voice in my head gave me immense strength to help me with my next move.

But every word was true. This would never end. He knew of our location. He knew of our whereabouts and he wouldn't stop until Lucy was in his grasp.