Chapter 16: Discovering the truth

Dean

Pulling yourself up and away from a warm thick duvet is amongst one of the daily challenges you face.

Somehow through the tears of frustrations, screams of pain, I had managed to fall asleep. It was morning when James had left me, but now it was late in the afternoon.

"Lucy, oh gosh".

I slept through the whole day and Lucy hadn't seen me for most of it.

"I'm such an idiot".

Maybe Lucy is upset? Maybe she thinks her brother doesn't love her. Maybe-

As I stood up, I looked down at my bedside table only to see a vase of beautiful purple and pink flowers. They looked almost like the ones we had everywhere in our back garden.

Under the vase was a little note with some words written on it.

Pulling it from underneath the glass, I opened it up and started to read it.

Hi Dean. James told us you weren't feeling too good. So Lucy decided to pick you these flowers on our walk. She came to see you whilst you were sleeping and gave you a little kiss on your nose before whispering a little good night to you. She'll be here when you wake up. 

Isabella x 

How I wish I could have given her a little kiss back. 

But I knew where James and Isabella were coming from. Even though she was my only family, I didn't want to smother her. I'd always protect her, but she couldn't be by my side at all times. It wasn't healthy or fair on her.

Grabbing the note, I picked up the rucksack that James gave me and zipped the note away in one of the small compartments.

Little things like these were big to me. Every drawing, every photo, every little thing she did would be kept. I didn't care if all her things filled up my entire room. I'd give up all my toys, books, everything for her sweet little gestures. 

Throwing the bag down, I jumped up realising it had been too long since I had spent time with my baby sister, laughing at her not so funny jokes and putting up with her adorable warrior moves.

Rushing out the bedroom door, I stopped and listened for her voice. But the house was completely silent. Not even their dog could be heard running through the hallways.

Shutting the door behind me, I started walking to every familiar room to see if they were supposedly playing hide and seek or something quiet as to not to disturb me. 

But there was no sign of them. 

Running to James' huge office, I pushed the door open hoping to see him working. But like every other room, the office was also empty.

I don't know why I did it, but I was simply curious. My feet took me towards James' desk and without thinking I pulled open one of his drawers and pulled some paperwork out wondering if he found anything on the men who killed our parents.

But all these papers seemed to be business related. But after I had emptied the drawers, my eyes fell to a dark brown folder at the bottom of the last drawer.

Picking it up, I opened it up and started to read.

Oh my gosh.

There was so much about James that I didn't know, so much I didn't know. I felt my body shake as I read further. I've known him to be kind, caring and gentle. But this folder said James was the complete opposite.

Not wanting to read anymore, I quickly closed the folder and placed everything back in his drawers. Just as I closed the last drawer, the door swung open and James walked in.