Chapter 12: Welcome home

Dean

"You live here?".

I stared out the window shocked at the driveway James had pulled into. 

For a man who was incredibly rich, powerful and successful, I did not expect him to live in such a normal looking house. I thought most businessmen like to live the high life in fancy buildings.

But this was a sweet looking home decorated with outdoor lights, beautiful flowers and surrounded by nature.

"Yes, I hope you'll like it. It's not the biggest house, but it's home".

"No no, it looks amazing. It's just not what I was expecting".

James laughed before bringing the car to a halt.

"You thought I'd live in something like a mansion?".

"Something like that".

James switched the car off and shook his head.

"I used to, but it was only until I met my wife that I realised having these expensive things are worthless. A huge house is not a home if you don't have someone to share it with. Besides, I enjoy the countryside. Come, I believe my wife has made her speciality".

"FOOD" Lucy squealed as she tapped at the window eager to be let out.

Unbuckling my own seat belt, I watched as James swiftly opened her door and helped her out.

As much as I wanted to be the only one there for Lucy, it felt good to have some help. She wasn't a difficult child to look after, but James was right. I am still a child, even though I keep forgetting that.

"You hungry princess?".

"YES! YES!".

James scooped Lucy up in his arms in one swift motion. Normally I'd get jealous when someone new picked her up and she instantly liked them. But seeing her with James gave me hope that we were on track to getting a better future. I barely knew the man, but I felt safe with him. 

Shutting the door behind me, I watched as James handed his keys over to Lucy and showed her which button to press to lock his car.

"Atta girl, well done Lucy".

"Well done" Lucy cheered with her arms raised, just like James.

I wonder if James has children of his own. He's a natural.

"Deeeeeee, come".

I looked up and saw Lucy dramatically beckon me over. Even though we were in a happier situation, I still felt empty inside. I felt lost, drained and alone. My childhood, my parents, my hopes and dreams, gone. 

Lucy called for me once again, but I couldn't talk or even smile.

Is this rock bottom?

Looking at James, I noticed him staring at me with a sad expression. 

"Everything alright?".

"Yeah" I lied.

Just bottle it up and smile.

I smiled at Lucy and watched as she giggled in James' arms still beckoning me over.

"Honey I'm home and I have some guests with me".

I followed James and Lucy into the warm home and looked around.

The house was even more beautiful on the inside than the outside. It was warm, inviting and full of love. The hallway was filled with pictures, plants and bouquets of flowers.