Chapter 27: Unpleasant truth

*Unedited chapter. Ignore any errors please*

Dean

Keeping my eyes low, I trailed behind James as he led us out the back ready to unleash hell at me. Even though I could only see James' back, I knew his face was one of fury.

Just like always, you had to ruin everything.

Walking past James as he held the back door open, I walked towards the beautiful forest and started kicking a pine cone in anticipation of James' anger.

"Sit down" James said firmly.

"You need to understand that"-

"I said SIT DOWN!" James yelled louder once the family walking through the garden had gone inside.

Feeling an immense anger, I reluctantly sat down and started fiddling with myself in attempts to keep myself calm.

"James, I"-

"No enough Dean. This has gone way too far. Do you even understand what you've just done?" James went on at me as he began pacing.

"All I am doing, all I ever do is look out for Lucy" I snapped back at him, but lay back as I start to feel dizzy from the lack of sleep and stress.

"Dean, you just accused a fucking Disneyland worker of poising a pancake made for a child. You cannot live like this and"-

"I'm sorry, but you cannot sit here and tell me that if there was still a threat over Isabella's life, you wouldn't be on edge. Adam ran away to the South of France, and he could very well use the happiest place on earth to end my sister's life. I'm not going to apologise for wanting to protect my sister at any given cost" I shouted as James turned his head away before looking back at me with a blank expression.

"Even at the cost of your sister's sense of security and well-being" he said emotionlessly as he pointed to the direction he had just pointed.

Following the direction of his outstretched arm, I looked over in horror at Lucy shaking into Isabella's side.

"Lucy" I breathed out as I immediately stood up to comfort her and make sure she was okay.

But as I took steps towards her, Lucy hid behind Isabella, her little hands clutching Isabella's dress.

"You are the most important person in her life, yet you are scaring her. And trust me on this, if you carry on with this reckless behaviour, you will lose her with your own actions".

I felt tears prick the lining of my eyes at the idea of Lucy fearing me.

I'd let myself get beaten black and blue over the thought of Lucy being scared of me.

"I understand you're scared, but don't let your fears cloud your thinking. You're smart Dean. And you know we are taking every precaution possible, so stop this behaviour and be the one that Lucy looks up to".

James patted me on my shoulder before urging me towards Lucy.

Tears fell down my cheeks as I got down on my knees and opened up my arms to Lucy who was still cowering behind Isabella.

"Lucy, sweetheart I'm sorry" I cried out to her, surrendering everything for her.

Lucy stared at me with her thinking expression before looking up at Isabella.

And once Isabella gave her a small nod, Lucy ran straight to my open arms.

"Can you forgive me?" I asked as I rested my cheek on her beautiful soft hair.

"Buy me pancakes?" she asked with a serious tone as she looked at me.

"As many as you'd like" I laughed out as tears of fear became one of happiness.