Chapter 6: Good morning

Dean

A groan escaped my throat as I felt something prodding at my face slowly pulling me out of my sleep. I didn't know how long I had been asleep for, but it was well and truly needed.

"Wakey wakey" a small voice whispered into my ear as the gentle prodding started to get faster.

I couldn't open my eyes just yet. I was laying on a very soft mattress, but that only made her attempts worse.

She gently grabbed both my cheeks and started squishing them together before turning her attention to my eyebrows and began to wiggle them up and down. Her little giggle echoed around me making my lips quirk up into a smile.

Slowly snaking my arms around her waist, I opened my eyes up and playfully roared making Lucy squeal as I pulled her down and squeezed her carefully with my arms.

"I'm going to eat you for breakfast" I growled out whilst pretending to gobble her up.

"N-No" she tried to yell out, but she was laughing too much as I continued to tickle her unrelentingly. 

"You woke up the big bad wolf, and now I'm going to eat you all up".

Lucy's infectious belly laugh echoed around the hospital room we were both staying in making it feel a little like home.

The three little pigs was her favourite story book. And to her I'd always be the big bad wolf, but not so bad because being bad is not good we always taught her.

"No!".

Lucy suddenly bopped me on my nose and let out a very small and amusing growl of her own. No matter how hard she tried looking fierce, she was like the most adorable little kitten.

"Ahhh, no, I'm sorry. I'll be good" I begged as I covered my eyes praying that the little warrior would show me mercy.

"Picky Pomis?" she held her little finger out to me, just like I had taught her every time.

I couldn't help but clamp my hand over my mouth hearing the way she had said pinky promise. Her speech was very good for a 2 year old nearly 3, but this was too cute. I wish I had my camera with me so I could record the adorable way she tried so hard to say it the way I said it. But I didn't.

But that would be the first thing I'd buy with my pocket money. A camera so I could capture and record memorable moments like this. I didn't want Lucy to go without anything. As hard as it would be, I wanted her to have as much of a normal childhood like any other child.

"Pinky promise".

Wrapping my much large pinky finger round hers, I gently moved our hands up and down and nodded at her promising with my finger and my eyes that I'd always be good, for her.

"Hungry" she whined and patted her stomach.

I knew that the staff would come round soon to provide us with food, but I wasn't ever going to let my little sister be hungry.

Reaching down for my rucksack, I opened it up and pulled out a packet of cheese puffs.

"YAY" Lucy clapped and watched as I opened up the bag and gave it to her.

I didn't like the idea of giving her crisps this early, but we were limited on what we had. Lucy didn't care and truthfully, I didn't either.

I just didn't want her hungry.

Lucy happily sat in my lap munching away on the crisps as she stared round the room. There was a small table with papers, pencils and chalk. I could see that Lucy had been drawing even before I had woken up judging from the adorable scribbled on papers that lay on the floor.