Chapter 9 - Friends to Lovers

During breakfast, they didn't talk much. Or at least Meredith didn't talk much, instead she stuffed her mouth with the best bacon and eggs she has ever tasted. Something about Arizona knowing how to cook made her want her more. And Arizona only smiled, eating slowly while eyeing Meredith's chow fest before her. 

After eating, Meredith lent Arizona her extra scrubs and they rushed out the door, only sparing Maggie a goodbye and left over breakfast. 

Before Meredith started the car, she asked, "Do you remember anything from last night?"

Mind empty, she just realized what had been blurted out. Two hands on the wheel, she started driving trying to appear calm.

Arizona looked to her side, thinking intensely, "Oh God,"

Meredith gulped not taking her eyes off the driveway. "What?"

"Did I barf on you? I just, I just don't know." she said puzzled. 

Meredith sighed and Arizona noticed. 

"DID I?"

Meredith burst into a laugh, "So you don't remember? And no, you didn't. You just passed out is all."

White lies.

Arizona sighed in her seat, "Phew. I'm lucky to have a friend like you being there for me last night. If not then I could have been in some random girl's house."

And that's exactly what Meredith tried to avoid. 

"Yeah, what would you do without me. Gosh." she joked. Arizona giggled watching the view from the window.

And she sighed, "I really am lucky to have a friend like you. And to have Alex and April too."

Meredith nodded it off though quite irritated by the label 'friend'. But Arizona appreciated her and there was nothing better that can top that.

They drove to the hospital quietly, drowning in comfortable silence. 

They did this before. Meredith went to fetch Arizona cake and Arizona skated to greet the staff.

Alex wasn't present for his morning rounds again, Arizona noticed. This is the second time this week, but she figured he would show up later-on right after Meredith comes for her. Yeah, so she carried on with rounds of her own, off to save tiny humans.

Little did she know, Alex was creeping up behind the chief of general surgery at sweets corner in the cafeteria. And feeling footsteps trail behind her own, Meredith looks behind her. She was shocked to see Alex rather than Amelia though.

"Alex," she furrowed her brows. 

"Get to it. Did you two... I don't did you confess or something?" he said, crossing his arms.

Meredith suddenly remembered all the explaining she had to do. All the explaining she planned of just this morning. It was a headache.

"Look-"

"Oh God," Alex cut her off. "You didn't. I just know." 

Meredith nodded in response. Defeated. 

Alex sighed before her, massaging the bridge of his nose, "Dude, did you just waste my wingman skills?"

"Maybe."

"Rhetorical." he replies, frustrated. "Okay, fine. I get it, maybe you got spooked or something. Or maybe you're just a pussy, not literally; you know what I mean. But- dude..." 

The blond doctor formed a response amid the disappointment, "Look. I'm sorry, but I'll do it later or soon. Sooner than you think."

"Do what? Confess?" he shook his head, disapproving.