Chapter 21 - Why Didn't You

"You and mommy love each other." 

Meredith knew that but she was still caught in a tangle, a sudden need for air.

"Aha," she laughed. "How do you..."

"I saw the way you look away when I said I want to live with two mommies." she said, neither happy nor sad.

"Oh, it was that obvious, huh." Meredith looked away, embarrassed and quite flustered a child outdid her.

"It's okay. Mommy looks happy, and if it's you and not mom that makes her happy it's okay too." she smiled.

Meredith patted her head, "You make your mommy very happy too; we both do."

"Did Meredith just happen to want to come with you or...?" Callie said when she saw Arizona walking down the hallway form Sofia's room. She processed that her daughter was left alone with Meredith.

"I'm sorry?" Arizona said once she neared her ex. 

"I was just asking, did Meredith just want to come see Sofia?" 

Intrigued, Arizona nodded, "Myeah, I guess."

"You two have been close after I left, I think." 

Arizona sat down on the bench and eyed the vending machine, "You could say that. I think it happened after she saved me though-"

Callie looked towards Arizona, brows furrowed. "What was that? Saved you from what?"

Goddamn it. Arizona thought.

"Okay, I guess we need to talk."

"What about? If it's about our failed marriage then no thank you." she joked. 

"No... no, it's about..."

Callie eyed her.

"I got into a car crash."

"What?" Callie said in a high voice.

Arizona sighed and faced the doctor beside her, "I got into a car crash the week after you left and... at least they said, I almost didn't survive."

Within Callie's eyes was horror. She thought. She felt guilty Arizona had to go through that by herself. But she was also disappointed she didn't know sooner.

"But I'm okay now," Arizona smiled, fanning out the tense atmosphere. 

"You're not okay," she said. "W-why didn't you call me? Or tell me? Or Sofia, what about Sofia? You could have died! Sofia could have lost another parent!"

"Calliope," Arizona said in worry.

"No. Don't Calliope me. I'm a doctor too Arizona! I was the love of your life! I am a mother to our daughter, yet you didn't think to tell me about this any sooner? Were you even going to tell me if not for Sofia's condition?"

Arizona bit her lip. The blond looked down for a second taking it all in.

"So you're right. I should have told you, if not for your sake then for Sofia's. But I just couldn't let you see me unhappy and..."

"I can't believe you; you always put yourself first. Me. Me. Me. Did you just hear a word I said? Sofia." 

"I was thinking of Sofia, you  just didn't let me finish." Arizona retorted.

"Oh really? Then. Why. Didn't. You. Call."