Chapter 16 - The Permanent Contract

Later that day, Arizona went off to talk to Carina before lunch. She knew that the OB knew already, having gossip spread before you can react surely has it's disadvantages.

Arizona nodded when she saw Carina just standing by the nurses' lounge, staring into nothingness.

"Hey," she said.

Carina looked up, stressed. Eyebags on her like a black eye, she rubbed them.

"Oh hey, Arizona. Congrats with Dr. Grey." she says, skipping the niceties.

"Um thanks. I was just about to tell you that," she smiled, nervous.

Carina took notice and face the blond a lot better, "It's cool. Like I said, I'm still here. And you'll always have my number. I don't want to push you onto me so I'll just be here when you need it, kinda like a booty-call."

"So you're foreshadowing we'll go down like a sinking boat," Arizona said.

"Think of it whatever you want to think of it. I just want to be your second option."

Arizona sighs knowing there was no changing Carina's mind.

"Okay. But do know that we won't sink." the blonde remarked sort of smiling before heading to the cafeteria.

"Hi guys," she said to the lot, making their way into the line.

"Hey, what took you so long?" Mer said. She kissed Arizona by the cheek; giddy, Arizona answered. "I just talked to Carina."

Mer gave her a look.

"Don't worry, I was just about to inform her I'm with you but turns out she already knew."

"Hospital gossip is like playing dominos." Alex said behind Arizona.

"Right, so Carina is a domino." she joked.

"We're all dominos. But have you heard, she's didn't ask for a permanent contract so she'll be leaving."

"What?" Arizona said. Unbelieving.

"Yeah, dude, Ask Owen. Being a board member yourself, I thought you knew already." he replied.

"No... no, I didn't know." she muttered.

"But hey, what's the worse that could happen. Hospitals like ours can find OBs easily."

"Yeah but Carina's pretty good. She's not just an OB." Meredith said. It surprised Alex and Arizona to say the least.

Alex smirked, "Good to know. Then tell Owen to offer her a permanent contract. Mer, how about you do it, reconcile with her."

"I'll do it but it's not reconciling, we didn't fight okay? We just happened to had eyes on the same person."

Alex shrugs while Arizona eyed the food, "Eh, same thing."

Amelia, Maggie, and April caught up to them a little on later. They had a pretty good lunch, eating with more people is always better.

After the meal, Meredith waved everyone goodbye and kissed Arizona on the cheek again. She smiled and Arizona smiled, and they got to work.

But Meredith had other plans, she was going to find the OB, Carina.

After a few, Meredith asked one of the staff if they'd seen Dr. De Luca and they said she was in a consult but she'll be back in the nurses' lounge in a few minutes. Meredith nodded them off and waited.

Carina turned from the hallway, eyes on the counter by the nurses' lounge. She found Dr. Grey standing there as if waiting for someone. She bit her lip, debating whether to approach or not.

She figured it would be nice to a have talk.

"Dr. Grey," she says. Meredith looked and straightened very quickly to the sound of her voice. She thought if she was the one Grey was waiting for.

"Carina, hi. Can we talk?"

Definitely.

"Sure, sure. Oh and congrats by the way. You two look good together."

Meredith smiled shyly to the side before saying, "Thanks. But I'm not here for that. I heard you didn't have a permanent contract?"

Carina's mouth opened, "Oh, yeah. I don't, I didn't intend to stay for very long."

She flashed a smile. Meredith though had none of it, "Why not?"

"Meh," the Italian replied.

"Huh. Well, then I guess you'll have no problem if I were to offer you one right now?" Meredith revealed the bundled paper on the counter. Carina only noticed now, it was a contract.

She looked happy.

"Is this your way of making it up to me?" she teased.

Meredith shrugged, "Maybe."

Carina pulled out a pen from her coat, "Should I sign it now?"

"Definitely." Mer smirked.

Once signed, Carina shook Meredith's hand.

"Pleasure doing business with you, Dr. De Luca." she said.

"And to you too, Grey. I hope to work with you in the future."

Meredith left the nurses' lounge feeling better. She was off to Owen's office to submit the signed contract, she really did feel Carina was one of the best. And none of her thoughts of Carina being a good doctor involved Arizona as a factor.