Chapter 20 - Oh She Knows

"Callie, I hope you don't mind but I brought someone with me," Arizona said into the phone.

Meredith was standing a few steps away from her girlfriend, giving her the space she needed. She was looking around letting her eyes linger around the hospital lobby. A little smaller that Grey-Sloan's but it was still pretty neat. She thought.

"Meredith," she heard a voice behind her. A very very familiar voice.

She turned around and was met by her old friend.

"Callie," her eyes widened at the sight of the dark-haired ortho.

She smiled softly, "Mm, Arizona just told you came with. I'm so so thankful for being concerned even though I-"

"Hold a sec, Callie." Meredith hovered her hand as a stop sign and looked towards Arizona who running to them. 

"Hi, I was just there. So you already met, good." she sighed. Callie noticed the nervousness in Arizona's eyes but shrugged it off assuming it was for Sofia.

"I guess we should see her. She woke up this morning," Callie lead their trio. She kept looking back a little though, she did not know Arizona and Meredith began to be close since she left. 

Callie couldn't help but notice how they walked side my side behind her, and not side by side beside her, if that made any sense. She felt... out of place.

"Sofia, you have visitors." Callie said by the door.

She let the two blonds enter, clearing the path from the door.

"Mommy!" Sofia jumped on her bed the moment she saw blond hair. A warm feeling subsided in her. 

"Hi, sweetie." Arizona smiled, making her way towards Sofia's bedside. Meredith followed suit behind her.

"I'm so glad to see mommy," she said. Her lips curled into a smile similar to Arizona's, Meredith loved to see it.

"I'm glad to see you too, baby. I'm sorry mommy hasn't been with you in a while. But I'm here now," the blonde replied, caressing Sofia's cheek.

Sofia shook her head, "No. It's okay, I know mommy's busy. I should be grateful because you let me live with mom, but now I want to live with you both again."

Arizona avoided Sofia's gaze. She signaled for Callie to give them space and she did. But she was skeptical why Meredith didn't come with her. It was a family matter. Her ideas grew, but she shook them off again.

"Sweetie, mom and I can't go back to the way things were, you know that." Arizona said in the softest way she can. 

A tear could escape the child if she wanted to. So she closed her eyes and frowned, holding it in.

"Don't cry," Arizona hugged her. "What's important is that you're okay."

Meredith watched them hug it out. She was smiling at the side, not disturbing the mom-daughter moment.

"Dr. Grey," Sofia said once out of the hug.

Meredith sat-up straight, surprised to see Sofia still knew her.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for coming," she smiled.

Arizona smirked innocently.

But Meredith knew that Sofia knew.

And it wasn't bad. 

"Arizona can you give us some space too," Meredith could almost chuckle. "And if Callie suspects anything tell her it's a consult. Just to be triple sure."

Arizona nodded and waved the two love of her life goodbye for a few minutes.

"So, I can see it in your eyes, young lady. You know something." Meredith said, grinning. Sofia did the same.

"Yup," she replied. "You and mommy love each other."