Chapter 42

James growled quietly as Severus unmasked himself. He tried to compress his voice which he did, kind of as he spoke with venom as he said, "Severus lovely to see you, but how are you here?" Severus chuckled a bit and said, "well Potter Lucius invited me seeing I was part of his guest party" James was beginning to be irritated by him as he strode across the hall as if he owned it, and as kindly as he could have and asked him about the duel. And of course, it had to be a wizards' duel, as he arrogantly spat about how would have defeated him easily if it were not because of the interruption of their headmaster.

"So, what do you say Potter will you do it or are you just scared to face me!" Severus threatening asked. James looked around and saw the guest terrified, he could not let these people get hurt and if he backed down it would further prove Severus's point that he was indeed a coward and his honor and trust of the wizarding world in his family will be tarnished. James thought for a moment and unknowingly grabbed the handle of his sword which gave him an idea. James then moved away from where he was standing, he looked at Severus with a smug look on his face and his eyes full of mischief and roared "I accept your duel"

Everybody looked in James's direction with shock and disbelief and thinking amongst themselves 'what is he doing?!' Severus chuckled and pulled out his wand and pointed in his direction "Very well then-" Severus was about to say something but was interrupted by a loud "BUT!" Severus groaned and listened to what James had to say which left everyone stir into murmurs and whispers in the hall "we duel not with our wands but with swords!" Severus was taken aback as his little plan was now falling into pieces.

Severus was about to retaliate but was met by James's cockiness "why Severus you seem stiff are you backing down now why because you don't know how to fight the muggle way are you just scared?" this was the last straw as Severus huffed in anger, and without thinking he said "Fine very well then Potter let us duel let our 'swords' to do the talking for us" James simply smiled and said most theatrical way as possible "ladies and gentlemen may I request everybody to move aside and do not interfere, and if you do interfere it should have a good reason why." As James said this, he took off his mask and threw it on the side of the room, and replaced his mask with his glasses with a sticking charm so it would stay intact on his face until the end of the duel.

Everyone moved to the side of the room as they would not want to interrupt the duel. Lily wanted to stop them as she pushed through the crowd. As Lily was in view, she tried to run towards them but was stopped by Remus and Sirius and told to not interfere, she wiggled her body to set herself free from Sirius and Remus's arms but failed as she was now exhausted. She felt defeated as she now saw Severus and James drawing their swords in Infront of them, and all she can do is watch and pray that James would be alright.

James and Severus's swords clashed as their swords loudly clanged in impact. Harry winced as he watched his father's sword duel, as he was now scared for his father's life seeing that those were real swords. Everybody in the hall simply watched in such interest and anticipation as they wanted to know who would win the match as they were both evenly matched in skill and tactics. Their footwork and hand coordination were simply breathtaking as it seemed like they were dancing in a battlefield.

James was seemingly doing a tremendous job, as he saw Severus slightly struggling as he was growing tired in every clash. James might be unknowledgeable in some of his studies, but when it comes to protecting others, he would always have a plan. As Severus was losing composure, James saw his chance, when Severus was about two swing his sword James blocked and twisted the sword into mid-air as Severus's grip on the sword handle was loosening, leaving Severus to render weaponless. James won the duel as Severus was now in the ground, kneeling in defeat as James pointed the tip of Severus's sword after James grabbed it by the handle, and pointed it below Severus's chin next to his Adam's apple while his sword was still in his hand.

The crowd clapped on the young Potter's and Snape's display of swordsmanship, as it was a jolly good show indeed. Lily, Remus, Sirius, and Harry breathed a breath of relief, while Euphemia was about to faint and so did Fleamont as they thought their son would have died there.

Severus growled and sneered as he got up still his sword pointing at him. James being the good sport he is lowered down Severus's sword and gave it to him slowly with the grip facing up. Severus angrily took the sword from his hand and grabbed his mask and cloak before apparating somewhere.

James was once again swarmed by his guest. Somewhere congratulating him for winning the sword duel, and some thanking him for keeping them safe.

After the duel and its aftermath, the party has gone smoothly before it was 12:55 signaling it was 5 minutes before New Year's. without anybody noticing James and Lily slipped through the crowd into a private balcony in the manor. As they arrived, they began to talk about the events that happened moments ago, which involved Lily saying, "James's you idiot why did you accept that duel, much less a sword duel you could've been hurt or worse!" and "don't scare us like that James! Harry thought he would lose you again because of your duel with Sev!"

10 seconds before midnight, James cupped Lily's cheek as he was enjoying the last ten seconds of the year with her. As the clock stroke loudly signaling the beginning of a new year James and Lily kissed while fireworks played in the background. Meanwhile, in the ballroom, Harry's eyes were covered by both his godfathers as they were the only ones who have not had a date.

It was exactly 1 a.m. when the guest was starting to go out as it was the end of the ball. As the last of everybody apparated and flooed home the Potters, Evans, Sirius, Remus and Harry started to go to bed.

They said their goodnights and immediately go to their rooms. After tucking Harry in James and Lily were no out of their said clothes and changed to their nightwear. Lily cuddled in James's chest as James was now half asleep as he moved his left arm to give her a protective hug and slowly gone in and out of consciousness before finally succumbing to sleep. 

_____________________________

A/N: Hey Guys 3 Chapters are to go till the end of this series.                      (;'д`)ゞ I wanna say thank you for supporting these series and I love you all

Also hello to my new followers Write2SmileX and Andreiasibert, welcome! 

Please don't forget to follow, vote, and comment about today's chapter!

Disclaimer: 🚨👮🏽‍♂️All the characters in this book belongs to J.K Rowling🚨👮🏽‍♂️