House MD: (Swap AU!Hilson) "Oh, There Was Love in So Many Things"

Another one-shot for my Swap Personality AU for House MD

[「-」]

House was late again. It wasn't a surprise, but every time it happened the three younger doctors that worked under him would sigh.

'When can I get a boss that's on time?' Foreman thought as he skimmed through the medical textbook settled in his crossed legs. 'The man is immature, selfish, and has no regard for anyone trying to be a professional. How does that man even have friends? Or a job?'

When he glanced up, he spotted Chase balancing the pencil he was using for Sudoku between his nose and upper lip, making a pencil mustache. Besides the Australian was Cameron, who was doing something with House's paperwork, filing his taxes perhaps.

The three stayed fixed in their spots for a while like mellow daisies who only moved when the wind blew on them softly. The peacefulness of the fields got interrupted by a loud whoosh of the door and the click of heels. All three of them took a while to react to the footsteps. Their ears were perked up for the energetic bounce of sneakers on the ground and not neat, rhythmic steps of heels.

"Is Dr. House here?" Cuddy inquired with an eyebrow raised to a perfect curve.

"Oh, no," Chase did a jerky shake of his head. His eyes widened a bit and he pulled the pencil from his face. "He, erm, hasn't come in yet," He continued.

This seemed to make Cuddy's brow raise a bit higher. Foreman glared at the diagram in the textbook before he shut it as if it had made House late.

"And is he answering any calls?" Cuddy asked, almost interrogative.

"We... we don't really call him or page him," Chase looked at Foreman and Cameron from the edge of his vision. "We... did that once and he blasted us for it."

"Maybe Dr. Wilson will be able to tell us," Cameron suggested, "Dr. House typically listens to him."

"I was going to his office to see if he was in, it seems some of the nurses at the front desk said he never came in today." The moment Cuddy said this, something changed in Chase's eyes. A flash of recognition of some sort.

The three nearly scrambled behind Cuddy to head towards Wilson's office. It finally struck the three that Wilson's office barely had any movement this morning. They chalked it up to his bum leg and the fact he holed himself up to chisel at the mountain of paperwork he got as the head of his department.

Cuddy opening the door to an empty office made that theory wash down the drain. The lights were off but on the floor was Wilson's briefcase. Even so, it looked barren for an office used so often.

"He's... not in his office, but he's here," Chase murmured.

"Indeed," Cuddy confirmed, "His briefcase is there." It seemed like a coincidence that at that exact moment, Cuddy's page went off. Her eyes skimmed over the words, then she turned back to the three doctors who had expressions of puppy dogs. "They've found both House and Wilson. Follow me."

Once again, the three ducklings scrambled behind the dean as she made her way through the hospital. She weaved through people like she memorized the way she should walk through the maze of people. The four doctors stopped at a door that opened to a private room.

Cuddy opened the door... and there! The two missing doctors were right in front of them. House was sitting on the couch... and he was cradling Wilson in his arms. Wilson had his suit jacket off... his usually slicked-back brown hair was a fluffy mess and spilled onto House's shoulder. Labored breaths came spilling from Wilson's mouth alongside his near-silent whimpering and slight shaking. Wilson's left hand clenched at his leg; it was propped up on both his own suit jacket and House's leather jacket, both balled up to resemble a pillow.

All four of the new arrivals were taken aback by House's show of affection. Cuddy immediately paged for some painkillers as a distraction while Foreman tried not to stare, Chase's mouth was open, and Cameron's eyes seemed to become a bit teary.

House seemed to finally notice them, but he didn't stop holding onto Wilson, even though he knew the four were gaping because he was holding onto Wilson. At that moment, Wilson tensed up and then hissed in pain; in response, House embraced Wilson a bit tighter. House weaved his fingers through Wilson's messed-up hair and rubbed at some particular points.

The hand Wilson didn't have on his leg was gripping House's band t-shirt. It seemed to get tighter and tighter. Then, Cuddy was right next to both doctors with a couple of painkillers. House took them with a polite nod of his head and set them aside.

"Hey, hey, Wilson," House murmured in a soothing voice as he gently wrapped his hand around Wilson's wrist. The oncologist blinked into reality from the foggy swamp of pain. He focused on the blue eyes in front of him. "Cuddy brought some painkillers. You need to say thank you, like a big boy," House teased, but the usual mocking tone was undermined by the softness of his voice.

Wilson shuffled around to the best of his abilities, taking one of the pills from the container House handed to him. He didn't say anything as everyone could see him trying to stay away from the foggy land that he escaped from moments ago.

House waved Chase over with one hand. With widened eyes, the blond-haired man went up to House.

"Call Brown; he'll know what to do to get Wilson's department running for today," House whispered, "And leave us for now," He followed up. Chase waved them out of the room. The last thing they saw was House wrapping his arms around Wilson's neck, rubbing gingerly at Wilson's cheekbones.

The four doctors headed off in their separate directions after the door closed with a barely audible click. Cuddy wished Wilson the best of luck while the trio of ducklings' minds flooded with many thoughts.

Foreman especially didn't know what to do with this information. He followed Cameron and sat back in the chair with the medical textbook in hand. His harsh thoughts towards the man before had disappeared into one. 'That's... sweet of him.'

In their minds lingered a picture of House's gentle touches. His sweet and caring touches to Wilson's sweat-riddled skin. There was also the music of House's loving whispers directed at Wilson's quivering figure.

There was love in his eyes, his touches, and his words. Oh, there was love in so many things.