House MD: (Hilson Drabble) "Oh my god... and they were roommates."

They live together, they're married, and they've been together for a long time. They're "just pals."

[「-」]

Wilson's fuzzy mind supplied him with the memory of House telling him he had to go somewhere. Wilson, tired from the day's work, didn't ask and told him to stay safe with a kiss. It had seemed the news of the lack of House had reached Cuddy by the time lunch rolled around. Wilson, sitting in his office with a napkin spread on his desk, was focused on the book he had in his hand when he heard the door open.

"Lisa," Wilson greeted and slid his bookmark in his book before he put it on his desk. "Good afternoon."

"No lunch in the cafeteria?" Cuddy sat down in front of him, taking a glance at the book resting on his desk.

"It's... a bit boring without him around," Wilson admitted, "And I'm pretty tired so I decided for some peace and quiet today." Cuddy nodded firmly to tell Wilson she understood him.

The social part of Wilson seemed to snap some sense into him. "Oh, right, did you come here to talk to me about something?" Wilson asked.

"Well, I consider this more of a social visit," Cuddy fished out a letter from the inside of her jacket where a pocket held a spot. "Your mother sent a letter and it got sent to the hospital mailbox."

"Understandable," Wilson winced and looked sheepish as he admitted, "I forgot to give her the address of the house." He tore open the envelope with small tears that left a neat line that was fuzzy at the edges rather than rough.

"You might want to do that," Cuddy laughed. She stood up to leave when Wilson started skimming over the letter.

"Wait," Wilson paused and placed the letter on his lap, "You might want to stay to hear about this." Cuddy raised an eyebrow and lowered herself back on the seat.

Wilson usually said the phrase with knotted eyebrows and a slightly clenched jaw; this time it was different. Wilson's eyes were shaped with amusement and glimmered with laughter.

"Let me read this to you," Wilson's mouth quirked up. Cuddy listened as the letter described Wilson's mother thinking Wilson had 'moved in with his friend.' The letter also told him that 'he and House shouldn't retire too soon as two single men, as they could help each other find someone special' because 'they still have a chance.'

Wilson lifted his head and murmured, "Oh my god," Wilson paused, "they were roommates..." Cuddy stifled a laugh.

Wilson widened his eyes in fake shock. "Can you believe her son, who has been married and divorced from women three times, has bought and moved into a house with his best friend? The best friend he spent more than a decade of his life with? The son that still wears a wedding ring on his hand even after being divorced?"

Cuddy laughed into her hand. "Congratulations on the house, James." She seemed to pause for a second, "And congratulations on the House."

"Thank you, Lisa," Wilson smiled at her.

"Tell me how it goes with your roommate." And with that, Cuddy walked out of Wilson's office with an air of professionalism even though she burst out laughing as she entered her office.