Castle Rock Street

Silence filled the air as Lia was walking along the sidewalk to the bridge the group was supposed to meet on.  After walking by herself for ten minutes, she turned a corner and bumped into someone.  Stumbling back, she tilted her head up to see Gordie, making her heart drop.  He already hated her as it is, but now she probably pissed him off even more.  Never had she disliked Gordie because she didn't have a reason to, but why did he hate her so much?

"I'm sorry." Lia held her hands out apologetically, not wanting to start an argument.  

"It's okay," Gordie replied, staring at her with no emotion on his face.  After a second, he walked right past her and continued his way to the bridge.  In a way, Lia was offended.  In another way, she didn't blame him for pretty much ignoring her, they aren't friends.  Gordie turned around when he noticed that Lia didn't follow.  

"You coming?" He motioned ahead of him with a tilt of his head.

Her head perked up, and she tried to hide her smile as she skipped her way up to him.  They started walking at a pace with each other but no words were said, which was uncomfortable in one way but also comfortable in another.  Uncomfortable because she didn't know how to start a conversation, and neither did Gordie most likely.  It was comfortable because the birds were chirping, the wind was calmly blowing, and Lia admired the atmosphere.  It was almost noon, so the sun was blazing in the sky.  It was definitely warm outside, but not too hot.  Lia noticed that Gordie was wearing a Yankee cap, one very similar to her own.

"You like the Yankees?" She asked the first sentence either one of them spoke since they started walking.  He looked down at her, only being a foot or so taller.  

"Yeah, I do.  This one was my brother's hat." He reached up to it, smiling at the thought of his brother giving him the hat to keep.  

"That's sweet of your brother.  Does he play baseball?" Lia asked another question, all though this time she should have just ended the short conversation there.  Gordie's smiled dropped instantly.  He didn't answer for a few moments, Lia assumed he was just going back to his douchebag behavior and was no longer expecting a response.

"My brother Denny died," Gordie spoke, right above a whisper.  It was so quiet that Lia barely heard him, but she did.  She snapped her gaze to the ground, embarrassed to even look him in the eye.  She felt like a complete idiot for bringing up his dead brother.  She thought that he probably hated her even more than he already did.

"Good God, I'm so sorry.  I did not know that." Lia spluttered, not even knowing what else to say.  He seemed to of had a really good relationship with his brother Denny, no wonder he loved the hat, whether he liked the Yankees or not the gift was from his now-dead brother.  

"It's fine, you didn't know." He shrugged, fixing the hat on his head.  At least he didn't yell at her or say some snarky remark.  Although the conversation did get rather quiet again after that, neither one of them knowing what to say.