A Girl Problem

A gate was what was separating the five from the junkyard.  There was a NO TRESPASSING sign on the gate, no one even spared a glance at it.  Gordie, Lia, and Vern had their hands on the gate, peering in between the holes.  Chris, like usual, had his hand on his hip.  

"Hey, Vern.  Looks like your ma's been out driving again." Gordie teased, surprisingly Lia since he doesn't often do that.  

"That's so funny I forgot to laugh." Vern retorted, not even smiling at Gordie's joke.  Lia however gave a chuckle at the joke, earning a small smile from Gordie.  

"Stand back, men!" Teddy shouted.  He tossed his bag over the fence, the began climbing it.  Vern copied, tossing his over.

"Paratroopers, over the side!"  Teddy continued.  Chris and Gordie struggled to throw their stuff over the fence, especially Gordie.  

"Need help?" Lia offered after throwing her own stuff over the fence.  

"Uh, well I- maybe?" Gordie stuttered, struggling to pull his backpack off his back.  Chris managed to throw his stuff over the fence and began climbing.  Lia carefully pulled the backpack off of Gordie, handing it to him once she got it off.  

"Thanks." He smiled politely, nodding at her before tossing his bag over the fence.  

"You're welcome." She answered as both of them started to climb the fence.  Everyone else was already over, Chris being the only one to notice to two's odd behavior.  Teddy waved at Vern to follow him, as they began running through the junkyard with their bags. Gordie and Lia finally climbed over the fence, Gordie grabbing his bag while Lia dusted herself off.

"Teddy's crazy." Gordie shook his head, watching Teddy go wild.  Lia grabbed her bag off the ground and looked up at Teddy and Vern to see what Gordie was talking about.  

"Where's the B.A.R?  Come on, men, move it out!"  Teddy yelled, running farther in the junkyard with Vern.

"You're just now figuring this out?" Lia deadpanned, placing her bag over her shoulders.  Teddy was definitely gonna grow up to be a psycho, maybe not a killer or something like that.  Lia wasn't stupid, she knew he was gonna have a difficult future.  

"Yeah.  He won't live to be twenty, I bet." Chris said, fixing the bag on his shoulders.  

"Remember the time you saved him in the tree?" Gordie asked Chris, recalling a moment that Lia wasn't there for.  

"Yeah." Chris nodded.

"Are you saying he got stuck in a tree?" Lia asked the two boys, pulling a Chris with the one hand on her hip pose.  How does one get stuck in a tree?  It was beyond Lia.  She imagined Teddy deciding to climb a tree and then getting too scared to climb down.  Chris, deciding to be the hero, climb up and helped him down.