Goodbye, For Now

The sun was beginning the set as the group began to head back to their hometown.  They ended up walking through the night which was the first time Lia pulled an all-nighter.  She had to hold her eyelids open every few minutes to prevent herself from falling asleep.  They arrived at their destination around 5:00 on Sunday morning, the day before Labor Day.  Everyone was dragging their feet with them as all they wanted to do was just lay down in their nice warm beds.  The group stopped walking after entering their town, knowing that they were all gonna depart.

"Well, see you in school" Vern was the first to speak.  Chris and Gordie nodded at him in response, so tired to even use words.

"See you in junior high," Teddy said to him, tugging his shirt.

"It was good to see you, Vern." Lia squeezed his shoulder, smiling softly at him.  Vern smiled back and nodded at her, before making his way towards his house, Lia assumed.  As he was crossing the road, he stopped in the middle and bent over to pick something up.  

"A penny." He raised it to the group with a smile, placing it in his pocket, and continued to walk away.  Teddy and Chris rolled their eyes at Vern, while Gordie and Lia smiled, finding him more amusing than ever.

"Well, guys, I better get home before my mom puts me on the "10 Most Wanted List."  See you around, Lia." He held his hand out for Lia to shake, who took it right away.  He then turned to Chris.  "Hey, Chris?  No hard feelings, okay?" Teddy said, fixing his glasses.

"No way, man," Chris replied.  Lia was proud of Teddy for saying that.  He nodded, singing his way to his house, which Lia tilted her head with confusion.  Lia hated it, but knew it was her turn to say goodbye.  She wasn't excited to greet her parents, but at the same time, she wanted to get it over with.

"Wish me luck.  I might not ever see the light of day again." Lia joked but was half-serious, to be honest.  

"You'll be okay.  I mean, you'll probably get grounded, for sure." Chris shrugged, telling her the truth.  She embraced Chris in a tight hug, more meaningful than the one they shared the day before.  Gordie watched awkwardly, suddenly feeling like a third wheel.  They let go of each other and Chris ruffled her hair, to which she swatted away with a chuckle.  She then turned to Gordie, who was already looking at her.

"I'm glad you came with us.  We learned a lot more about each other." Gordie nodded to her, his eyes squinting from the bright sun.  

"Oh, my God.  I completely forgot." Lia perked up suddenly, confusing the two boys in front of her.  She took the backpack off her shoulders and unzipped it, pulling out her Yankee hat.  "I want you to have this." She held out the hat to Gordie, who stared at it with amazement.

"Is that mine?" He asked, grabbing it and examing it with a smile.

"No, it's mine.  But I hardly ever wear it.  You'd have more use to it than me." She zipped her backpack, Chris smiling at the two.