Chapter 2

It was barely dusk as you fled within the woods, away from the men— no, animals that were chasing you. Right now, they were nothing more than predators chasing after their prey.

The path was littered with dead leaves and sticks that cracked below your feet as you ran over the soil.

Left,

Right.

Left,

Right.

During the day, these woods contained the joy of children, old couples walking, dogs and the like.

But at night it transformed into something different. Trees and branches stood in disfigured forms.

You knew you needed to find your way back before the sun was gone.

They watched, they waited.

And they were gaining.

Your heart palpitated as sweat dripped down your forehead.

"Help! SOMEONE!" You yelled until your voice cracked, but your cries found no home.

As your pursuers carried onward, you could smell them from afar. If fear had a smell, it was them.

An owl hooted menacingly, breaking your concentration as you felt your own nails burrow into the skin of your palm, almost drawing blood.

You needed to run. You needed to go on.

You needed to go faster.

But you also knew that there was no outrunning fear.

And then, as if someone had pressed the mute button, the woods went dead silent.

No wind, no rustling of trees, nothing.

You turned quickly and to your terror, the two killers were gone. Where had they gone? Had they given up?

So many questions bounced in your mind. So much so, in fact, that you let your guard down. And that's when you heard the pair of footsteps that were no longer behind but in front of you.

You turned slowly, and there he stood.

You couldn't breathe. Everything felt slow motion.

You turned to run away, only to bump straight into an identical robed figure with the same, exact horrifying ghost face.

"Where do you think you're going, babygirl?" The one from behind you asked in a sardonic tone.

You thought about running again but realized it was worthless.

You flinched as the one in front of you lifted his arm, skating his hands up your bare arms up and up to reach your pale face.

Through the leather, his hands felt oddly warm. It could be classified as comforting, even.

However his sadistic chuckle was the stellar opposite, it made your blood turn icy cold.

You didn't know what came over you but you mirrored his movements, hovering your fingers against the hard plastic of the mask before ripping it off their face.

Tears swam in your (E/C) orbs that held his through heavy lidded eyelids.

"Stuey... " A choke left your throat as you forgot all about your previous fear. It was as if the milky white mask embodied your fear.