Chapter 22

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

Three weeks.

That was how long it had been since you were put in a coma.

You thought for a moment. Wherever you were, it was dark. Unnaturally so. You couldn't see a damn thing. Like your eyes weren't working.

That was probably because they weren't open.

Right.

The first thing you noticed upon regaining your senses was the strong smell of antiseptic in the air. You could also smell faint traces of chlorine, artificial floral fragnence, and blood.

Hospital, your mind supplied.

Your entire body felt heavy even though weren't trying to move it. And achy. In fact, it was more than achy. You were sore everywhere, pain lying over you like a blanket, simultaneously keeping you hot and cold in an infuriatingly painful mix of sensation. While most of your body was engulfed in a dull throbbing ache,  your chest was experiencing an odd mix of burning and being stabbed all at once.

Your eyelids twitched before you tried to lift them with a groan, but they felt as if they were made out of lead, and when you finally did manage to open them, you snapped them shut straight away because the surrounding light just about blinded you.

How did you get here?

You slowly smudged your eyes open again, squinting and trying to blink away the blur from them.

When they started to come into focus and you allowed your eyes to wander, your eyebrows dipped slightly when all you saw was bright white and all you heard was that damn beeping.

You scrunched your face up, confused and still dazed. The bluriness of your vision didn't distort enough to not see the monitors next to the bed you were in and the wires snaking around every corner.

Once your sight sharpened enough, you peeked down to see the white sheets covered over you.

The next thing that caught your eye was a mess of golden brown, laid on the bed on top of arms that were folded underneath a sleeping face.

Why was Stu here?

Your puddles of (E/C) searched over Stu sat in the chair and slumped over the bed before you realized he was holding your hand.

"Stuey..." You croaked, your voice hoarse from just waking up as you gave his hand a squeeze to try and rouse him.

He jolted awake like he was in a panic, his head snapping up. Your heart broke at how tired he looked but it nearly flew out of your body when his red, puffy eyes took hols on yours.

"(Y/N)?" He rasped, like he didn't understand what he was seeing and his voice was raw, like he's had the flu.

"What's going o–"

Your question was stopped short by Stu almost jumping on you as he wrapped his long arms around your shoulders and buried his face against your neck.

"You're awake! You're fucking awake!" He cheered, nearly shaking you as he pulled you tighter against him, sounding utterly relieved. "Wait 'til Billy hears. Ya had us damn worried, silly girl!"

Speaking of Billy, you scanned the room for him, but was nowhere around. You were still confused as to why he was acting like you had just woken up out of a coma.