Chapter 8

No matter how much you tried, you just couldn't forget about your encounter with Billy.

It had been days now and his words still repeated themselves in your head like a mantra.

Thinking back on it, there were so many other things you had wanted to say. It was the first time you'd been directly face to face with him in three years in a— what could be considered— civil conversation.

That was until all hell broke loose when he found out about your self-inflicted wounds.

"You're too stupid to understand."

Billy was notorious for teasing you ever since you met him but when he uttered these words, it felt like he genuinely meant them.

Billy being pissed off at you, no matter under what circumstances, you just couldn't stand.

You desperately needed to see him again and you knew that you would, but that wouldn't be the way you wanted to see him. You loathed and feared that damned costume for too long now.

In all honesty, you felt like a criminal too in a way, for hiding information from the police.

But you just couldn't bring yourself to rat Billy out. Your heart didn't allow it, especially when the reason of his visit was that he missed you.

Right now you were in your hotel room, sprawled out on the two-person bed while you watched a movie with half eaten snacks scattered all around.

A shrill scream erupted from the poor girl on the television screen, before she got shoved into a fireplace.

Whereas normally you'd flinch or chuckle because of the sheer ridiculousness of it, now you didn't move, barely affected by any of it.

Was it wrong that you were craving to be cuddled up in Stu's arms, laughing and having fun with Billy being a grumpy dickhead cussing you out in the background?

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

Now that you got thrown into this situation again with nothing to do on your hands, it was starting to occur to you just how lonely you'd become.

Back in your house where you essentially lived in isolation for a year, it never really dawned on you until that fateful phone call.

You'd purposefully hidden yourself from the public's eye and forbade yourself to have friends because so far, every person you had considered one at one point or another, turned out in a casket.

So the only useful thing you did there was counseling other people that struggled mentally.

Hitting the remote, you sat up straight and curled a lock of hair around your finger, thinking of ways you could keep yourself busy.

You had only brought a very limited amount of belongings with you, so there weren't many options to pick from.

A shower and a walk sounded really tempting.

So, after drowning your tears in the shower, you dressed yourself in the first pair of jeans you came across and threw on a gray hoodie, before exiting the room to head outside.

As you pushed the glass double doors of the hotel open, you were surprised to hear the crunching of snow under your feet.

Looking up, snowflakes drifted down from the sky, dusting your hair and eyelashes.

The sun had already sunk under the horizon but the snow made you feel oddly at ease, and many of the cars and rooftops were covered in a thin blanked of white.