Chapter 18

You'd never been more apprehensive to drive somewhere in your entire life.

Your stomach was in knots by the time Billy or Stu, who ever of the two it was, had given you the directions to Roman Bridger's house.

As you drove, you blinked as your eyes grew moist, but you weren't just hurt. They were watering from the untamable anger that was growing inside the pit of your belly.

You maintained your gaze on the road while keeping the negative feelings at bay, but it was becoming increasingly difficult.

Everything that had happened over the years had been out of your control. You just went along with it, carrying the luggage on your back that grew heavier and heavier with each loss you suffered.

Over the half an hour drive you had to process things, eventually, your car rolled into the enormous driveway that looked a lot less inviting than the first time you arrived here.

You didn't exit the car straight away, taking the time to close your eyes and inhaling a couple of composing breaths that really didn't do much to calm you.

Your emotions were still bouncing all over the place, especially when you glanced over at the pistol laying on the passanger's seat.

If it came down to it, let's be honest, you wouldn't pull the trigger on them.

There was just no way.

From what you could see, all the lights inside Roman's house were turned on.

By now the sun was sinking toward the horizon, casting a faint yellow light as the shadows from the trees slipped up against the grass field surrounding it.

You were scolding yourself for being a hypocrite. All those times where you laughed at those brainless victims in horror films yet here you were, about to step into a house with not one, but two bloodthirsty killers.

What could possibly go wrong?

One thing wasfor sure, what ever would happen tonight, you wouldn't be the same after this.

With that in mind, you opened the car door, shivering at the air that nipped at your skin. Taking the gun in one hand, you shoved it down your boot before slamming the car door shut.

You scaled the area, your eyes resting on the front door that was already half opened.

How inviting.

Your head was already swimming with a million things rushing through your mind as you skimmed your fingerstips over the cold doorhandle before pushing it all the way open to
take your first daring step inside, venturing further and further in.

At first glance, you saw nothing out of the ordinary— no broken glass, no sign of a struggle, nothing.

There wasn't a single noise which only heightened your senses and sent a pang of fear jolting up your spine.

It was like you were under some kind of spell with how familiar this was feeling yet at the same time, it didn't because this time you knew what you were in for.

You were so lost that you didn't notice the front door shutting ever so slowly.

Nothing had happened yet and your heart was already pounding so loud you could barely hear your own thoughts.

This house could very well be a maze with the amount of hallways and rooms it had, it was honestly disorienting.

*Thud*

A noise coming from upstairs made you nearly pass out as your head snapped up to the ceiling. You placed your hand over your chest, but it did little to calm yourself as it became more difficult to breathe.