Chapter 10

Detective Kincaid was pacing back and forth in his office with a battered and bruised Gale sitting near the wall, wearing a police officer unform since her previous outfit had been absolutely cremated.

"Ok, look. We all know that this has something to do with STAB 3. What we don't know is why the killer keeps leaving articles about Helene (L/N)," Gale said, running a finger around the rim of the hot drink she was holding.

"Actually, there was more this time. We found a picture too."

She raised her chin incredulously. "What?"

Kincaid held up a second ziplocked evidence bag. Within it was a 5x4 of your mother exiting a hotel room with Cotton Weary.

Then he flashed her the backside that had 'WE KILLED HER' written on it as his jaw tensed. "It seems we really are dealing with multiple killers here."

"So (Y/N) was right," Gale surmised, dipping her head to get a better look. "Those lovesick bastards really are back, huh. But why would they leave pictures of her mother? It doesn't add up. I've seen those two goonfucks, they think with their dick and not with their brain."

"Where is Miss (L/N) right now?"

"In a nearby hotel. She hasn't come out of the room since we were almost charcoaled." Gale eyed the clock, standing up from the chair she'd been sitting in. "I gotta go. There's something I wanna check out."

"Mind filling me in?" Kincaid asked with a curious inflection in his voice, but she'd already brushed past the Detective.

"No time!"

About an hour later, Gale was banging on a metal door to try and gain access to the small building in front of her, but got no luck.

It took her no less than five minutes to notice the card lock hanging next to it with a the sign reading 'AUTHORITIZED PERSONEL ONLY'.

Like that had ever stopped her before.

Reaching into her hand bag, she pulled out a couple of credit cards, but nothing worked.

Someone grabbing her from behind by the shoulder made her shriek in surprise, only to see Jennifer standing there who was scratching her head. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Being Gale Weathers. What the hell are you doing?"

The actual Gale Weathers clenched her jaw and hissed, looking irate. "I am Gale Weathers!"

"Here's how I see it. I've got no house, no movie, no gun, and I'm being stalked. Because someone wants to kill me? No, because someone wants to kill you," Jennifer blabbered incoherently. "So now, starting now, I go where you go. That way, if someone wants to kill me, I'll be with you so they won't kill me. Make sense?"

"None."

The actress clicked her tongue as she nudged her head to the door. "Need to get into that building?"

Gale flicked her eyes to the locked room as Jennifer arrogantly presented her a Sunrise Key Card. "Gale Weathers would find a way."

Holding her hands up in mock surrender as she blew out a conceding huff, Gale followed Jennifer in before the door shut omniously behind them with a loud clank.