Chapter 4: The Party

Emma was in her apartment, putting on the dress; it was beautiful and really complimented her hourglass figure. "You okay there, Swan?" Killian asked, knocking on the door.

"Oh yeah, just getting the zipper up," Emma said, almost out of breath from rushing. "Well, let me help with that," he offered.

"No, it's okay," she insisted. "Please, I can't be late; my father will not be pleased," he begged desperately.

"O-okay," Emma said, opening the door and finally letting him into her home.

"Wow," he said out loud. "Please just help with the zipper," she asked, turning her back to him. "Wow," he says again as he zips it up.

"You look nice too, Jones," she said, rolling her eyes.

"I know," he said, winking at himself in the closet door mirror. She rolled her eyes at him again, wondering how she got herself into this mess.

Once they finally left Emma's place, Killian drove them to his office. Emma looked around, confused, before turning toward Killian and asking, "Is the party here?"

"No, but I need to grab something," he said, exiting his side of the car and running to her side, opening the door for her.

"Thank you," she said, getting out carefully. Killian unlocked the door to his office and started going through the drawers.

"Killian, no offense, but I thought that we were supposed to be early," Emma reminded, crossing her arms. "I know, that's why I picked you up 45 minutes earlier; I just need to get something that's important for tonight," he explained. "Oh?" She asked curiously. "Yeah, it should be... here!" He pulled out a long, small, thin jewlery box, one that you'd get from one of the more expensive stores.

Emma looked more curious. He pulled out a necklace; it was silver with diamonds. "My girl does deserve to feel like a queen, am I right?" He said, "After all, it's part of the deal."

"Wait, what?" Emma was shocked and a bit flattered by the idea

"Wait, what?" Emma was shocked and a bit flattered by the idea. "Hold your hair up and back; I want to see how it looks on you." He walked over with the jewels.

"All this for one night?" she asked, trying to hide her smile. "We have to be believable for my father, and I thought that you could use something beautiful, one that fits a ravishing face," he said, kissing the back of her hand. "I didn't think that you had a romantic side," Emma breathed out, shocked. "There's a lot you don't know about me," he reminded her. "Would I get the chance to know more?" She asked curiously. "All depends on if my father demands to see more of us," he answered, taking her hand.

*At The Party*

Killian led Emma through the party, which was at Brennan's large apartment complex. "Wow!" Emma exclaimed, stunned. "I know, it's smaller than usual parties." Killian shrugged like it was no big deal. "When are those?" Emma asked, whispering in his ear. "Don't worry, luv, those are only for family reunions," he assured. She nodded and said, "Okay."

He took her to the crowd, where Brennan was standing. "Evening, father," Killian said subconsciously, squeezing Emma's hand. Brennan looked up at him as he took a sip of his wine. "Ah, son, how's work been?" he asked.

"Fine, sir," Killian answered. "Fire anyone yet?" His father asked, smiling. "Uh, no, not yet," he said as he looked at Emma. "Father, you remember Emma, right?, one of my old classmates from high school," Killian said as he motioned to Emma, who tried her best to smile.

"Ah, yes," Brennan said, "the Nolan's girl from down the street." He took a longer sip of wine this time. "Well, she and I are kind of a thing," he said nervously. "I mean, we're dating." "What?" Brennan asked, almost choking on his drink.

"I'm dating Emma," Killian repeated with more confidence this time. "You didn't have better?" Brennan asked with disappointment filling his tone. "No, because nothing beats the best," Killian said, wrapping his connected arm around Emma's shoulder.

"But dating the work?" He asked. "Father, please," Killian begged, embarrassed. He didn't want Emma to be uncomfortable for the rest of the night, especially at work. "Fine, whatever," Brennan said, rolling his eyes.

Killian walked away with Emma in an awkward silence before saying, "I'm sorry about my father. He's always like this. Don't take it personally."

"I know and I won't; this is all a ruse anyway, right?" She reminded smiling. "Right, I wouldn't worry about it anyway," he kissed her on the lips, "now then, luv, let's get something to drink." "Okay," she smiled.

*11:49pm*

"Father, it's getting late; shouldn't the party be over by now?" Killian asked, looking back at Emma, who was sitting on the sofa, exhausted. "Oh, everyone here is spending the night; we extended the party time yesterday," Brennan said nonchalantly. "What?" Killian inquired, surprised. "Aye, one of my colleges hasn't come, but he is arriving at 3 a.m.; he has a very big deal for us," he explained.

"But Emma should be-"

"Settled in your room, I assume you two are together after all." Brennan interrupted. "Okay, may I have my keys then?" Killian asked Brennan, who sighed and handed it to him, saying, "Tell her I said goodnight."

"Um, luv, we've got to talk," Killian said as he approached Emma. "Hey Jones, why are you looking at me like that?" She asked him, confused. "Let's talk in the other room," he said, holding his hand out to her. She took it. He led her to the bathroom, closing the door behind them.

"My father changed the time to around 12 p.m. tomorrow," he said awkwardly. "And I need to stay here to make us look believable. I get it," she yawned. "Y-you do?" He asked her, surprised. "Yeah.... If I feared my father, I would want someone I knew there for me, friend or not," she explained.

"But I've treated you so horribly." He said he was still not understanding why she'd be so kind to him. "Yeah, but you kept your promise here, which I appreciate." She yawned again. "You seem exhausted, is everything alright?" He asked her concerned. "Yeah, I just had a busy week; the weekends are usually my time to sleep; it's okay, I wanted to come," she said, brushing him off.

"Okay," he relented. "Just a question, what is all this for?" She asked. "The party?" he asked. "Yeah," she said, leaning against him.

"Well, my father is trying to merge some companies with one of his friends to make more money, but this friend isn't coming till 3am and we have to sleep here; my father gave us my room since we're dating," he explained.

"Oh, right," she yawned. He brushed her hair back behind her ear and softly said, "Come on, let's go." He brought her to his room, closing and locking the door behind them.

"I don't have anything to change into," Emma said. "You can borrow something of mine; I have too much of the same thing anyway." He pulled out a pair of light blue pyjamas for her, obviously his size. She smiled tiredly, reaching for her zipper. "Here, let me help you," he said, walking over and zipping down her dress. He really was treating her like she was his everything, and this was a fake date. but she liked it. "Thanks, Jones," she said, walking to the bathroom to change. He smiled at her and changed into his p.j.'s.

*1:00am*

Emma stepped out of the washroom and saw Killian making the bed. "I made the bed for you, Swan," he said softly. "You can stop pretending now," Emma reminded. "Better not; my father might have cameras hidden somewhere in here," he reasoned as he looked around. "So what are we doing about sleep?" Emma asked. "I don't know," she said, sighing quietly. "I'm too tired to discuss it; I don't care. I trust you." Emma said while sitting down on the bed. Killian climbed in after, saying, "Okay, luv, just relax and sleep." He hugged her, kissing her forehead. She fell asleep right away, and Killian pulled the covers over her. "Goodnight Swan"