Things Keep Getting Worse

•••

•••

They were all in the kitchen/living room listening to Fury talk. "Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked, leaning against a wall.

"Oh, he's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guys multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit."

Lexie let out a snort causing Steve to look at her with an exasperated expression. "I'm sorry, I know this is serious, but that was just hilarious," she tried to keep a straight face and not laugh, but she wasn't doing a very good job.

"Thank you for that, Williams," Fury got back to what he was talking about. "It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though."

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony asked, throwing darts.

"Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway." Lila ran up to Lexie and gave her a drawing. Lexie looked at it and saw herself and who she assumed was Lila next to her. The young girl had also drawn skeletons, either on the ground or standing up, with a bit of blood on the ground. The were stood an a grassy hill, smiles on their faces, and the sun shining above them on the blue sky. It was a bit morbid, but still kinda sweet and she appreciated the sentiment. She whispered a small 'thank you', before turning her attention back to the conversation.

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Lexie looked at her father-figure with a newfound respect.

"Well, I contacted our friends on Nexus about that."

"Nexus?" Steve asked.

"It's the world Internet hub in Oslo," Bruce answered. "Every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth."

"So, what did they say?" Clint asked.

"He's fixated on the missiles," Fury explained. "But the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?" Tony asked, barely missing being hit with a dart thrown by Clint.

"Parties unknown."

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked.

"Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still, I'd play folding money to know who it is."

"I might need to visit Oslo," Tony stepped forward. "Find our unknown."

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that," Natasha spoke to Fury.

"I do," he responded simply. "I have you."

"That's sweet," Lexie smiled sarcastically.

"Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk," Natasha said.

"You know what, Romanoff?" Steve began.

"So what does he want?" Fury continued, being dramatic as usual.

"To become better," Steve realized. "Better than us. He keeps building bodies."

"Person bodies," Tony added. "The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed," Natasha stated, looking at the two geniuses.

"They don't need to be protected," Bruce muttered, looking at the drawing Lila had given Natasha. "They need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve."

"That doesn't sound good," Lexie looked up at him. "How?"

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?"

•••

They were all ready to leave. Lexie was going with Steve, Natasha and Clint to stop Ultron.

She was walking towards the door when Tony, who was going to Oslo, stopped her. "You ready?"

"Yup," she nodded and smiled. "I'm good to go."

"Alright, well, be careful. I wont't be there, so try not to get yourself killed," he tried to hide his concern with humor.

"No promises," she smirked before rolling her eyes with a smile on her lips. "Don't worry so much, I'll be fine."

"Yeah, yeah." He put his hand on the back of her head and pulled her into a small hug, kissing her temple. "I know."

"Try not to crash your plane." They pulled back.

"I'll do my best." He grabbed his bag and she did the same, only hers contained her weapons. "See ya' later, kid."

"See ya', old man."

•••

I keep writing father/daughter moments with Tony and Lexie and I'm not even sorry about it.

Hope you have a great weekend. Vote and comment xx