Ring

•••

•••

Four years.

That's how long they'd been together now and Lexie was more confident in their relationship that ever.

They'd been able to get through all the obstacles thrown their way. Be it very different lives, powers, missions, battles, loss, or lying, they'd gotten through it unscathed. At least Erin had. Lexie was another story entirely, but that had nothing to do with their relationship. They blamed that on aliens, brainwashed assassins and robots.

They hadn't just gotten through it, they were thriving. They had a great apartment, Erin was working on her degree, Evie was doing great and was perfectly healthy... The couple was living a domestic life and they loved it.

Which was why Lexie felt it was time to take on the next natural step in their relationship.

Marriage.

Or rather, getting engaged, that is.

After Erin had left for her classes that morning, Lexie had quickly gotten ready and left the apartment. She decided to walk to a jewelry store not too far from where they lived.

She entered the mostly empty store. Only three other customers were there, as well as the employees. She walked up to the area where the engagement rings were placed and was quickly approached by a kind-looking woman.

"Hello, dear," she smiled. "Can I help you with something?"

"Yes, I'm looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend."

"Oh, how sweet." She walked around the counter. "How long have you been together?"

"Four years." Lexie smiled thinking about it.

"Well, it's about time one of you bought the other a ring, then."

"Yeah, I suppose," she laughed with the older woman.

"So what are you looking for?" she slid the glass top over the display away. "We have a very popular collection of more unique rings, but also more traditional ones. What type of diamond would you like?"

"Well, she's not one for very big and extravagant jewelry, so I think something a bit more dainty and elegant." She looked over the different rings. "But I'm definitely on board with getting one that's not necessarily very traditional."

"It's mostly older couples that want the traditional ones," she nodded along, beginning to pull some rings out and laying them on the counter so Lexie could have a closer look. "They're going a bit more out of style. The new generation likes the more creative ones and opt for that instead." She finished displaying the ones she'd selected. "I think you'll find the right one from one of these. Beautiful, aren't they?"

"Yeah," she mumbled while looking them over. They were all beautiful. She found that she especially liked the ones that had two parts, where one was smaller than the other and the bigger one had the biggest diamond. She knew one of them would be perfect for Erin. "I like these," she pointed to three of the rings, all with two parts.