8 | Fireworks | 4 Years Old

July 4, 1888. Everyone is a year older. This is more on the fluffier side of things. I think. Anyway. Enjoy! :)

"Why is everyone gone so much?" 

"Why don't I go outside?" 

"The door squeaks A LOT." 

"How did Crutchy get his newsie name? Why doesn't Jack have a newsie name?" 

"There are three spiders in a corner of the bathroom." 

"I'm hungry."

"Will I be able to go outside when I'm older?"

"Whoever thought it was a good idea to teach him how to talk, I'll soak 'em," Morris grumbles.

Now Antonio is well into being four years old, and well into talking. It's funny, because now, he's nearly totally silent or nearly totally ready to talk any of their ears off.

"What's going on tonight?" Antonio asks curiously. "Everyone is saying something."

"Well, Antonio," Jack answers, "today is July 4th."

"Mhm. But what's tonight?"

Louis grins. "You'll see."

Antonio pouts a little. "But that's so far away! You haven't even gone away for hours yet!"

That gets everyone nearby to chuckle a little. So that's what he thinks of them all working, leaving him alone in the lodging house.

"How 'bout this?" Jack starts. "How 'bout I take you outside? Not far, and not for long. But you'll see it. You'll be with me the whole time. But it's somethin', right?"

"Yeah!" Antonio bounces up. "Can we go now?"

"Go where?" Ray joins their conversation.

"Antonio was wantin' to go outside," Jack explains to him. "I was plannin' on only takin' him around within sight."

Ray nods. "Sounds good."

And with that, for the first time in his memory, Antonio walks outside the door of the Manhattan newsies lodging house; with Jack beside him, who is remembering all too well what happened the last time Antonio went outside. But that's not what's going to happen this time.

Antonio's small hand is enclosed in Jack's. Jack is making sure that Antonio won't escape. He also loves the feeling of holding hands with Antonio, knowing that Antonio trusts him.

"What's it like being twelve?" Antonio asks Jack curiously nearly out of no where.

Jack thinks about it for a second. "Well, it's kinda like bein' in between, 'cause I can be the oldest of the young kids, or youngest of the older kids. That makes it interestin'. Ain't all ages kinda fun while they last, though?"

Antonio shrugs. "I don't know."

"That's right. You've only had four years."

"Mhm."

"Well, Antonio, what do you think about coming outside everyday?"

That gets his attention. "Really?"

"Not yet, of course."

Antonio's shoulders sag a little. "But-"

"When you're a newsie," Jack tells him, "you'll be outside. A lot. Every day."

"Newsie?" Antonio tries the word on his tongue.

"Yep."

"When do I become a newsie?"