24 | Another Day | July 16, 1899

AHA! This is THAT part! Can't wait! :)

Jack = 21 (3/4). David = 21. Blink and Mush = 20. Crutchy = 19. Spot = 15. Itey = 20. Skittery and Bumlets = 18. Specs = 17. Snipeshooter = 13 (nearly 14). Boots = 12. Tumbler = 11. Les = 9 (5/6). I think I included everyone we need. Edit: NOW we have everyone we need.

I'm sorry. I am 80% sure that this is gonna be hecka long. And I'm trying not to make it THAT that much like copying a script! I hope ... All of if it is coming from memory, or my  headcanons, or my rewrite, so it's gonna be chaotic. Actually, I'm looking at lyrics from a certain song (and a little bit off of a script after all...), so there is that.

Here it is! The beginning you all know and love! Enjoy! :)

The sun rises in the east on another July day, shining on tall New York buildings, and kids sleeping in the streets.

And the sun shines over rooftops, like the one of the Manhattan newsies lodging house.

As the light comes streaming in, no one is ready to get up yet.

But they have to.

"Alright, get up!" Kloppman yells. "Carry the banner!"

There's a collective groan from everyone.

As he comes around waking people up, others start moving around.

Race wakes up wearily. He sighs. He knows he has to get up.

And so, he sits up and starts getting dressed. Out of habit, he looks for his cigar.

He doesn't exactly remember when he got introduced to cigars. It was around the time of the war last year, probably a little earlier. Some older newsie, he doesn't quite remember who exactly, gave one to him, saying it would calm his nerves, and it worked. He doesn't necessarily like smoking it, just having something in his mouth. It helps him.

In this moment, though, he can't find his cigar.

He checks around his bed, on the little tabletop, under that cup...

And sees it in Snipeshooter's mouth.

And that annoys him.

Race gets up in Snipeshooter's face. "That's my cigar."

"You'll steal another," Snipeshooter replies calmly.

It might be true. But that still hurts.

Race takes the cigar out of Snipeshooter's mouth and whacks his forehead. As he's knocked backward Race had some satisfaction when he heard a little "hey!" He would have continued on, but just then Blink jumps down from his bunk.

"Hey bummers, we got work to do," Blink mediates the situation. He doesn't want any more conflict. And so Race relents, and instead just shoves the cigar in his mouth and glares at Snipeshooter.

As Blink stands up, Specs teases him, "since when did you become me mudda?" Real bad breath, though.

Crutchy sighs, and comes into the mix. "Ah, stop your bawling."

"Hey." Specs, Blink, and now Mush, fake scoff at him. "Who asked you?"

And so more people start moving.

"How'd you sleep, Jack?" Mush asks.

"On me back, Mush," Jack answers calmly. He's had to go through this before. Mush always gets the same answer.