4 | How Are You, Really? | 2 1/2 Years Old

A sweet little something between the leader of Brooklyn and the leader of Manhattan, to help you to get to know them better, and for them to reflect on things. Enjoy! :)

"Hey, Ray."

"Hey, Theo."

"Ready to go up?"

"Of course."

And so they climb up to the rooftop together. Tonight they're on top of the Manhattan newsies lodging house. Stargazer knows that because of Antonio, it might be a while before they sit on top of the Brooklyn newsies lodging house, but he's okay with that. He's just glad that Ray cares about the little kid he brought to him a little over a year ago.

They go right to the middle of the roof. That's their spot. They can see the whole city every time they turn in some direction, and look up at the night sky. They sit in comfortable silence, pressing against each other.

"It's June 5th," Stargazer says.

"Mhm."

"It's close to midnight."

"Well, in a little over an hour. Why?"

"Well, you don't think I'm going to forget your birthday, wouldya?"

Ray laughs a little. "You know you're cute when you show affection in little ways like this, right?"

That catches Stargazer off guard and leaves him to stutter for a few moments, causing Ray's grin to grow. Stargazer glares at him. "You're not funny."

Ray chuckles. "Come on. I'm hilarious."

Stargazer just shakes his head and sighs. Then, he smirks. "So how does it feel to still be the same age as me? We aren't that far apart in age, you know."

"And you like thinking you're older than me and know what's best for me."

"I mean, I do." 

"I'm still older than you. And taller than you."

"Oh come on! You're six feet tall! That's not fair!"

"It's not my fault you're short."

"Seriously?! I'm 5 foot 9 inches!"

"Yeah, short."

"Oh, that's low. What's also low? You like thinking you're better than me, just because you're older. I know you love it whenever you can say that you're a year older than the king of Brooklyn."

"Hey, now."

It's all fun and games. They both know this. They've been teasing each other like this ever since they first met each other.

Stargazer has been selling newspapers ever since he was ten. That's when he started having problems with his family. They didn't like him for who he was. But he didn't let their words cut him down. He knew he liked boys. And being a newsie became an escape from the real world, something that he definitely needed. Until ... it became his only real world. Sure, it's never been easy. But he gets by. Soon enough he earned the nickname of Stargazer when night after night he would go up on the rooftop of the Brooklyn newsies lodging house to stargaze. And he worked his way up in the world. He's the leader of the Brooklyn newsies now. The toughest borough in New York. And he's the most respected newsie in New York. He knows everything, too. He's leading a dangerous life. But he's managed to get this far. He's not stopping now. It takes people like him to stop the tyrants.

Ray started selling papers when he was nine. Kloppman took him in when he found him wandering the street one night, all alone, with no family. Ray had no one. Then he had Kloppman and the newsies. He became friends with everyone. He helped the younger newsies, and cherished all kind gestures he got from the older newsies. He vowed he would be like them. Most of the newsies, they never formed a strong connection with Kloppman. Sure, they cared for him and he cared for them, but for Ray, this man was like the father he always wanted. And as time went on and Ray gained seniority, he kept this close bond, and helped unofficially run the lodging house. Everyone loves Ray. They instantly feel safe with him. He's kind and fair. He looks out for everyone. If someone has troubles, they go to Ray. Ray will do everything he can to make everything better.