10 | Carrying A Banner | 6 Years Old

Like I said in the last chapter, I am so, so sorry for Stargazer. I know a lot of people go on and on about their OC's, but really? One can't help but to get attached to characters that they create.

I picture this to be spring of 1890. Just a little filler chapter with a sweet moment between two characters. It's a heartfelt conversation. Anyway. Enjoy! :)

Jack is confused, to say the least. Really, really confused.

And also a little scared.

He has no words to describe what he's feeling.

He's nearly fourteen. He thought he had grown up, but now he's realizing there still is just so much that he doesn't know. He doesn't know exactly how to handle this.

But he knows someone who might.

Jack bites his lip. Is he really going to reveal a deep secret to someone? It's not something most people would like, or understand.

But he does have someone who he knows he can trust.

Taking one last deep breath, trying to gather up his thoughts, he approaches Ray, who is currently involved in some conversation with Crutchy and Antonio.

"H-hey Ray?" Jack asks more nervously than he would have wanted. He sounds like a little kid again. That's exactly what he's trying to grow out of, trying to show that he's more mature now.

He has Ray's attention. Too late to turn back now. 

"Can I talk to you about something?"

"Of course." Ray stands up. He can tell that Jack means I need to talk to you but not in front of the others. To Crutchy and Antonio, he says, "Give me a few minutes. I won't be gone too long."

Great. Jack has a time limit now. Well, not really. But those last sentences inadvertently put a sense of urgency for how quickly Jack would need to say what he wanted to say.

"Where d'you wanna go?" Ray asks Jack.

"The rooftop," Jack murmurs.

Ray takes a second, then he nods. The rooftop is where he used to go and talk with...no. That's not what matters. The rooftop is a place to go when there's no where else without anyone listening. Silently, he lets Jack lead him outside and up above the lodging house.

Jack doesn't come up here much. The view is amazing, though. They really got a good spot.

I miss going up here with Stargazer, Ray thinks sadly. He hasn't come up here since he found out about...no. That's not why he's here. 

Jack is why he's here. He looks at Jack beside him. Jack, who is now up to his shoulder. He's growing fast. His voice is different, too. He's growing up. And nothing's going to change that. Ray's just happy that he gets to watch Jack, someone who he knows is an amazing person, grow up.

Ray still doesn't know why he's here, though. But judging on Jack's nervousness, it's something serious. Or at least, important to Jack.

"Before you say anything, you know you can tell me anything, right?" Ray reminds Jack gently. He's happy that Jack nods in confirmation. Hearing Ray say that makes Jack feel better too.

Jack tries to find a good place to start. "It's just that..." he trails off. "It's this feeling...I don't know how to describe it."

"Take your time," Ray assures him. "Is this a feeling about something? Or someone?"