33 | Betrayal | July 23, 1899

Oh no. This is not the good one. But of course, just like in every chapter of the strike, not all will be how you remember it. Enjoy! :)

"STOP THE WORLD! NO MORE PAPES! STOP THE WORLD! NO MORE PAPES!"

"Race! Race help me!" David shouts. Really up in Race's face. Too close. Too loud.

"ALRIGHT! I AIN'T DEAF!" Race shouts back. Yeah, not the nicest thing on his part. But he's really anxious and overwhelmed and everything. He can't control when his anger is going to get the better and lash out.

Spot is there, though. Spot hasn't left his side.

Then the road clears and they can see who the scabbers carrying papers are.

But...there's a new face there.

Well, not new.

Spot sees him first. Oh no. He turns to Race and taps his shoulder. "Race, hey Race."

Race turns to face him. "Yeah?"

They turn around to face towards the scabs.

"Just, tell me I'm seeing things," Spot says.

Even Race knows who that new face is.

"You're not just seein' things. That's Jack. Dressed like a scab."

That doesn't work. Why is he dressed up like a scab? Why is he there? Why is he not on the newsies' side?

All the newsies are uneasy, and full of disbelief. "That's Jack." "What's he doing?" "What on Earth?" "Jack's dressed up like a scab."

Even though there's a line of people between the scabs and the newsies, Mush comes up as close as he can, eyebrows knotted. "Jack, look at me, will ya? Jack it's me, Mush-"

His voice is drowned out by others.

But that still resonates with Jack.

But everyone moves so fast. Before Mush can finish that last word, Boots shouts, "Hey, what is this?!"

Blink moves forward. "This can't be happening. This can't be happening!"

Jack looks down. He knew that they would react this way.

"He sold us out!" Spot scoffs.

But the next one breaks Jack.

"Look at you with your new suit," Race spat. "You bum! You scab! I'll soak ya myself!"

There is so much shock and hurt and hatred in Race's eyes. Jack can't take it.

No, Race, please. Please, no.

He feels their connection break. Years ago, Race thought he had made the breaking point over something trivial. But Jack knows for a fact that this is it. Nothing will put this back together.

Before Race can make any moves, Spot stops him. "No, no. If anyone's getting their hands dirty, it's me." He glares at Jack. "Come here you dirty rotten scabber! Traitor!" He lashes out. But he'll never get to him. The newsies have no choice but to haul Spot back. No one is going to fight Jack.

Jack swallows. He knew that everyone would hate him for this.

Then David is allowed to come forward, expressionless.

Not David.

David tries not to tremble. "so this is why you didn't escape last night."

Jack doesn't answer.