54 | Christmas | December 25, 1899

Fluff. Just. Pure fluff. As always, no clue what length this is going to end up at. I thought I've known fluff before. But this? Woah. Enjoy! :)

Race can say that he's had a good past couple of months. Starting with his birthday. The next day, he did everything: woke up to Spot beside him; gambled at Sheepshead with Andrea and Giacomo; went to Moretti; spent a few hours with his grandparents; and made it back before he was in trouble with Jack. 

His days have more or less kept the same pattern since: get his newspapers (which only cost fifty cents per hundred, much to everyone's (but special his) delight); sell and gamble at Sheepshead with Andrea and Giacomo; eat lunch at Moretti; spend time with his grandparents (who feed him more food), and learn about his parents, Italian culture, and so much more from them; then make it back to the Manhattan lodging house. This doesn't happen every day, but close enough to it, and he likes it.

Of course, even with as busy as he is, he still has plenty of time at the lodging house with Ray and Stargazer, Jack, Blink and Mush, Crutchy, and everyone else.

And he has plenty of time with Spot. If he's not gambling with Andrea and Giacomo at Sheepshead, he's gambling with Spot. They do plenty of other things together. Most of the time, it's just talking and enjoy each other's company. They're happy together. 

Ain't it a fine life? 

Yes. For Race, it is.

Now, it's Christmas Day.

The lodging house is lively with a merry mood.

Since Ray came back, Christmas has returned to its rightful glory in the lodging house.

They are so happy that they don't have to sell today.

Someone put mistletoe up. Everyone knows it's only for the pairs currently residing here: Stargazer and Ray, and Blink and Mush.

Blink and Mush reach it first.

"Mistletoe." Blink wiggles his eyebrows. Mush doesn't need anymore invitation.

Those standing around them smirk and smile.

"Not in front of the innocents!" Crutchy berates them as they start kissing harder.

"Hey! I've seen worse!" Boots protests.

"Not you. I was talking about Race here."

"HEY-!"

"Nah, lover boy's fine," Snipeshooter adds to the conversation. He's smoking a cigar.

"SNIPESHOOTER THAT'S MY CIGAR I SWEAR I'LL-!"

"HEY! No smoking on Christmas!" Crutchy cuts in, and snatches Race's stolen cigar from Snipeshooter. They know that they have no say in this. And that Crutchy isn't going to argue with them on this. 

"Lover boy," Race mutters in a scornful tone.

"Well you and Spot Conlon are a thing, aren't ya?"

"Yeah, well-" He has nothing more to say. So he just sticks his tongue out at Snipeshooter and walks away.

Very mature, Race.

He deserved it.

You're sixteen.

Does that matter?

It's just that when it's phrased like that it sounds weird. Sure, he and Spot are together. But...lover boy would be a term for Jack, or for Blink or Mush. Not Race. Words and labels are everything. And that one just doesn't have the same energy as the sweet and soft relationship that Spot and Race have.