9 | Prosopagnosia | 5 Years Old

"Proso-what?" ~literally everyone

I know I said that since Antonio doesn't have all these terms, they won't know what it is, but in this case I'm putting it in the title because I want to spread awareness of it. I don't have prosopagnosia, but I know people who do. For those of you who don't know what prosopagnosia is, it's a condition where ... well, you'll find out real soon.

This is October of 1889. Ray is 21, Stargazer is 20, Jack is 12, Louis is 11, Mush is 10 1/2, Crutchy is 10. And even though he isn't a part of this chapter, Sean is 6.

Anyway. Enjoy! :)

"It's cold outside," Mush complains.

"It ain't even November yet," Itey responds unsympathetically. 

Mush sticks his tongue out at Itey.

"Try on this coat!" Louis tosses him a dark red coat.

"Where'd you get a thing like this?" Mush asks as he catches it and starts to put it on.

Louis shrugs dismissively. "Someone left it behind."

"Oh, yeah. Left it behind."

Now it's Louis's turn to stick out his tongue at Itey.

"Hey, Mush." someone tosses their newsie cap at Mush. "Try that on while you're at it."

"Ooh! A wardrobe change!" Louis laughs.

Mush looks at himself in a mirror. "Yeah, I do look different." he smiles at his reflection. "I can get used to this."

The others roll their eyes good-naturedly.

"Hey Crutchy!" Mush calls out. "Come look at this!"

Crutchy comes over to him. "Where'd ya get all that?"

"You like it?" Mush asks.

"Yeah!"

Mush grins.

"Look who's stylish!" Jack walks into the room. He has Antonio close with him. "Hey, Antonio! Come see this!"

Antonio, a month away from being six years old, has become really good at interacting with all the newsies. Now that they've gotten used to how much he can talk, they find his inquisitiveness endearing. And now they feel better about the way he acts.

...But that doesn't mean that he doesn't do things that still worry them.

Mush holds his arms out, grinning, waiting for some sort of reaction from Antonio.

Antonio is silent for a couple moments. He squints a little. That face ... it looks familiar. But he can't quite place it. He's never seen anyone with that coat before. Not that coat with that hat either.

"Who are you?" he asks.

No one is quite sure what to do with that.

Mush falters. "Come on, Antonio. It's me, Mush."

Antonio tilts his head a little, trying to see it. He tries picturing Normal Mush in his head...but the face is kind of blurry. Why can't I remember what Mush looks like? He just needs to see Normal Mush again. Maybe then he'd be able to tell if it truly is Mush. But Mush never wore that coat. Or that cap.

He shakes his head. "Mush never wore that coat."

This isn't just Antonio saying things, they all know. This is something else.

Jack goes to get Ray. Ray will know what to do. At least, he hopes Ray will. Because none of them have any idea of what to do.