36 | Atoning | August 1, 1899

OOO we're getting close!! This oughta be a nice change of pace from what we've been going through. Or at least, the start of a change of pace. Enjoy! :)

It's the first day of August. And the strike is still going on.

Race hates that Sheepshead isn't a part of his routine anymore. He can't afford it. Not the money, or the time. None of them can. They're just trying to be able to get good meals in each day. It's hard.

But Spot strikes with him in Manhattan daily. They've been spending less and less time apart.

So maybe it isn't all bad.

Some people are ready to give up. Some think that this has gone on for a long time. They're right. They've been striking for two weeks now.

But Race sees a light at the end of the tunnel.

He's ready to wait for it, no matter how long it takes.

Even though it's been over a week since Jack changed sides, he still hasn't gotten used to seeing these faces at the circulation center rather than the ones he's grown up with. A lot more nicer clothes, with a lot less nicer attitudes.

He just wants to get his papers in peace.

But since when were the Delanceys on his side?

"Rumor has it Davey's out and about again," Oscar breathes in Jack's ear. "Wanna find him? Wanna find your pal Davey? We can soak 'em, Jack. Soak 'em so he can't walk-"

"Shut up-" Jack raises his voice.

Weasel jumps on him before any fight can break out. "Hey! Hey! Lift one finger, and it's right back to the Refuge for you!"

So Jack lets it slide and grabs his papers and goes.

David had forgotten how much walking around outside really clears his head. He spent more time than he would like to admit moping around.

The day Jack betrayed them marked the seventh day they had known each other.

It's been over seven days since Jack betrayed them.

Yet David is still feeling this way.

How can someone in so little time have so much influence over a person? David truly doesn't know.

A few days ago, David re-met up with the newsies, wanting to actively participate in the strike again. They welcomed him back warmly. He's been feeling better ever since. 

He still can't sort out his feelings for Jack, though.

It's just...he has no clue how he feels about Jack.

Before everything fell apart, David could have sworn that he and Jack had some connection. But after July 23rd ... David just doesn't know.

Well, as he's just walking, he has a lot of time to think about it.

Sarah and Les aren't that far away from David. But they are much closer to trouble.

They have two Delanceys following them.

Sarah's used to boys following her. She knows how to deal with it. So she walks faster, ignoring them. Until they can't be ignored anymore.