31 | Irving Hall | July 21, 1899

This is gonna be a long one? I don't know. I'm spontaneous. Or at least, that's what I tell myself haha. And there are a couple of twists here. Enjoy! :)

What no one realized was that Jack quietly left the lodging house in the night. He had too much on his mind, and wanted to clear it. Or try to, at least.

He cannot stop thinking about David. 

They haven't known each other that long. 

But there's just something about David, and when around him, suddenly Jack can't think straight.

He needs to figure this feeling out.

Sounds like you got yourself a crush, Jack. 

Jack swallows as he replays the memory in his head.

No, that can't be right.

Why not?

Because...

Because these feelings you have, are they for a guy?

How did you know?

Jack chuckles as he thinks about his younger self, talking to Ray, trying to navigate those strange feelings. He's come a long way since then.

But now his emotions are everywhere, his mind a mess. His head is spinning.

He feels strongly for David. But he is no where near ready to give up his hopes and dreams of Santa Fe. But David and Santa Fe are two completely different directions.

So, he does the only thing that makes sense.

Apparently, that means going to the Jacobs' residence.

He doesn't know exactly why his head told him to come here. He can wait until morning though.

But right outside one of their windows is where he falls asleep.

I'm gonna hire a band.

That motivates Racetrack to get up in the morning.

Now, the question is when he's going to go. Asking for things isn't really his forte. He'll figure it out, though. He's always been independent. More or less. How much can go wrong, really?

Race forms a plan. It's still odd for selling newspapers not to be a part of his daily plan. I haven't made much money at all this week. And most of that money that I did make came from actually winning bets. It's going to be great, though. Last night, the money he persuaded Snyder the spider to give helped them get enough to hire a band. Today, he's going to find Chief Devery. He's the one that he'll get the permit from. And, if this works, then tonight? There the newsies go to Irving Hall, accompanied by a band. Race really likes this idea.

And it was all his. No one inspired it. One hundred percent Antonio Racetrack Higgins. That makes him happy. He is good for something, it turns out. 

He knows what the others think of him. Yeah, he knows they love him. But they also don't take him seriously sometimes. To them, he's the young one. To them, he's the one who thinks differently, and should be treated differently.

He's going to prove to them that he's just like them. He can handle anything. He is not a liability.