39 | Triumph | August 2, 1899

EEEE this is fun!! Enjoy! :)

"Do you think it's all going okay?" Race asks anxiously. They've been waiting for some time now. Race can't stand still. He's been pacing for the past ... he has no clue how many minutes. It's a good way to keep himself grounded and to not completely succumb to nerves and overwhelmed senses.

Having Spot with him is good too. "I think they're doing just fine."

"Do you think it's working? Are they going to convince Pulitzer to finally lower the prices? Have they made the deal yet?"

Spot shrugs. "I don't know." He looks at the door. "I wish we could be in the room when it happens."

They're all stuck out here, though.

Then, suddenly, the doors open, Jack and David returning as triumphant heroes, bringing good news. Or at least, they hope so.

"They're back!" Spot and Race immediately start running towards them.

"What happened?" Race presses. He's not the only one.

"How did it go, Jack?" "Did we win?" "What happened in there?" "Tell us how it went!"

Jack beckons Les closer. He whispers something in his ear.

What's he saying? Race thinks, just really wanting to know what's happening.

Suddenly, Les is being hoisted onto Jack's shoulders. They raise their fists in the air.

"WE BEAT HIM!"

And the roar of the crowd after those three words is enough to blow anyone's ear drums to bits. 

Everyone starts cheering and hollering and making every exclamation of happiness they can. All rejoice.

There have been so many times in his fifteen and 3/4 years of life where Race has thought to himself, This is the happiest I've ever been. But that happiest is always changing. There are still some moments that will always be some of his happiest.

But this?

Nothing that has ever happened, nor ever will happen, can beat this feeling right here, right now.

Same for everyone else.

Every single face in the crowd is a happy one.

A lot are jumping up and down in excitement.

Many talk about the victory.

David hugs Jack. Jack is never letting him get far away from him again.

Kid Blink and Mush kiss right then and there, and no one cares at all. They don't need to hide.

"We did it, Race!" Spot exclaims in Race's face. "We did it-we did it-we did it!"

"We did it!" Race echoes with a huge smile. "We did it!" 

They hug too. "I always believed in you," Spot whispers in Race's ear.

Race glows inside. He wishes they could stay like this forever.

But then someone comes to rain on their parade.

"It's the bulls!" Les shouts.

And Snyder.

That sends everyone into high alert.

"Jack, get out of here!" a bunch start shouting, including Race and Spot, all tugging Jack backwards protectively.

"No no it's okay!" Denton assures them all. "You don't have to run anymore. Not from the likes of him."

Now they take the time to see what's happening.