6 | Know Me To Love Me

The guys had informed me about a van they had come in; when we went back for it, it was gone. Rick predicted that it was Merle who took the van; I didn't agree or disagree. Anyone could have taken it.

Because the van was gone, it was decided to go back to their camp on foot...

I hated that plan but didn't put up an argument; I was just grateful they were taking me with them.

I had forgotten how it was to be around people; surprisingly I had missed it. My plan was to go back with these people, maybe stay for a couple of days, rest, then pack up and get back on the road to find my family; although I was starting to lose hope in ever finding them.

If you weren't with someone, you had to assume they were dead; Or pray that they had somehow survived, but also accept that you will most likely never see them again.

I had tried calling my mom when everything was going down. She never picked up.

I miss her

I remember that day very well

Flashback

I had seen the news, at first, I thought it was some kind of joke or government lie.

I didn't know what to think; so, I packed.

I packed a small duffle bag with anything I thought I would need to survive whatever this is.

I packed some clothes, necessary hygiene products, and anything else I thought I might need if I was fleeing.

Thankfully I had a camping bag packed up; it had all kinds of survival gear. Most importantly I packed weapons. Because I had lived alone, I had a handgun to protect myself; A Glock 17 to be specific. I also had many knives. I had my favourite pocketknife, some throwing knives, and hunting knives. I also took my hunting gear.

I loved camping; it was one of the only times I felt at peace. I would go out on my own and stay for days. I hunted for food and made my own small camp.

Once I had everything, I needed I sat down to take a breath.

Jeez that was a lot of work

I started calling my mom; I called her maybe eighty times. Every time it went to voicemail.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up!"

I fidgeted with the locket necklace my mom had gifted me on my 16th birthday. When she didn't answer for the eighty-ninth time, I stopped calling.

As tears started to fill my eyes I looked down at the necklace around my neck. It had the letter 'E' in the middle of the heart; inside the locket was a picture of me and mom.

"Where are you, mom?" I whispered as I stared at the little picture.

I wiped the tears away, gathering myself. I couldn't let emotions get the best of me.

I got up and left my home knowing I will most likely never see it again.

End of flashback

I hadn't realized tears were threatening to fall from my eyes. I quickly shook my head praying that none of the guys had seen that and kept my head low as I followed behind them.

***

We were going for a while, running for the most part.

God, I hate running so much

I was now walking beside Glenn; both of us out of breath.

"I hate running. before all this, a bear would have to be chasing me for me to even consider running." I said out of breath.