11 | Lucks Turn To Play

Luck

It's a funny thing, isn't it? How luck works. Life can be very random at times, surprising you by rewarding you with Luck.

Luck of survival, Luck of shelter, Luck of people, Luck for anything. Many might consider it a blessing, some others might think of it as a curse because an individual can't just be lucky. When the universe gives you something, it's not out of generosity, it's because it wants something in return.

Could be materialistic things, could be lack of Luck, could be a loved one, it could be anything which is the scariest part.

It's unpredictable.

Everything in this life that we are given, takes something from us in return.

Even with people, they aren't just friendly or good people, they want something back, they need something back.

Having the CDC doors opened for us might be considered luck or faith, but there was no way of knowing.

To us, it was simply an open door that we ran through seeking safety and stability. We were a bunch of strangers surviving together looking for sanctuary, And the CDC was that to us.

"Watch the back"

"Hello!?"

"Close those doors"

"Hello!?"

"Watch for walkers"

Our voices echoed through the empty building as we all anxiously entered through the open door. Inside was slightly lit up, it was very empty and unlike the outside world.

It's clean! It's freaking clean!

It looked clean and untouched by everything outside which was very rare.

I wanna lick the floors! I wonder if anyone's here? Could we survive here?

All kinds of questions ran through my head as we walked further inside the hall.

"Hello?" Rick called out one more time, before loud guns cocking echoed through the hall. The sudden noise made everyone bring their attention towards it, raising weapons and having our guards up high.

My eyes followed the direction the noise came from to find two white-skinned men standing on top of some stairs with shotguns pointed straight at us. They were both wearing comfortable clothes with slippers and looked very clean compared to anyone else I've seen so far. One of the men had broad shoulders and light-coloured hair, the other was taller with darker colour hair.

I was standing on Rick's left side with Glenn beside me, weapons raised in our hands. One of the men looked harmless because he himself looked shaken up. The other one had a look that sent shivers down my spine. I didn't know what it was, but I didn't like him.

"Anybody infected?" asked the scared-looking man.

"Are we growling?" I asked the man with a 'are u stupid' face. I still had my gun pointed at them alongside all the others. Everyone was nervous, including me, my heart was beating so fast I could almost hear it. The exhaustion was a lot, ever since the whole thing went down, my mind hadn't stopped for a minute. I sure laugh and make jokes all the time, but that doesn't mean I don't have worries, or that I don't care. I've built up a façade that takes over, to show the people around me that I have no care in the world and nothing fazes me, but truly I am scared and lost.

Maybe if I act like it, it will become true.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it" Rick answered the man in a better way. Although it was unnecessary to bring up Jim.

He could've just said no.

"Well, that's a shame," said the other man.

What the hell. Can I accidentally shoot him?

"Why are you here? What do you want?" asked the stupid man once again.

Some candy. Isn't it clear what we want you ass hat!

I opened my mouth to reply to the man with a sarcastic comment once again, but Glenn kicked my foot, harder than necessary.

"For- Ouch!" I jumped up balancing on one leg before facing Glenn and giving him a hard glare.

That really hurt.

"A chance" Rick answered seriously once again.

"That's asking an awful lot these days" the man started walking forward. Who I assumed was his partner, followed behind him with an evil smirk on his face for some reason. He was eyeing each one of us, when his eyes landed on me, he gave me a creepy smile with a wave. I scrunched my eyebrows and moved my focus away from him and back to the nice-looking guy.

"I know," Rick spoke once again.

He gives off leader vibes. Is he the leader? Is there a leader?

After a moment of silence, the nice guy spoke again, "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission." His eyes scanned through every one of us, less creepy than his partner.

"We can do that"

"You got stuff to bring in you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed." Said the man after lowering his gun.

Uh, okay? A bit weird. Whatever.

Quickly one person from each car ran out to get the bags and as soon as they got back the man closed the door.

"Vi, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here" spoke the creepy man to a keypad beside the doors.

"Rick Grimes"

"Dr. Edwin Jenner and this is Dr. Miller Davidson," Dr. Jenner said pointing to himself and his partner who nodded with his hands in his pockets. 

"Alright, follow me," said Jenner as he and Davidson lead us through the building.

I couldn't believe that we were safe inside, I couldn't believe they had let us in, it had just settled in my head that I could let my guard down, I could walk around without having to watch my back for any of the undead. I could laugh and yell without worrying about attracting anything that wasn't welcome. For the first time in a while, I had hope, and I felt sort of secure, not fully but more than I had in a while. 

Maybe this could work.

___________________________

shorter than usual, but I'm gonna try to post another one soon. 

don't forget to vote and comment