32 | Through Ashes

I wonder where they are.

What they're doing.

How they're living.

If they're living.

Thoughts consumed my weak mind as I walked back to the farmhouse. The day was still young, and the sun was enjoying its time frying our skin with its heat.

I thought about a lot of things and how I ended up on this unfamiliar farm, holed up with unfamiliar people. Each of them had different stories, different backgrounds, different upbringings, different lives And yet, in times of need, people find people, and they put aside their differences and work together. They become family.

Just like Rick's group.

Hershel and his family allowed Rick's group and I to practically move our lives onto his land, allowing us to live among his daughters and family. He didn't know who we were, what we were capable of, or what we had done in the past.

And yet, he trusted that we wouldn't harm his family, and while I knew I personally wouldn't, I wasn't sure about certain people.

Ever since I met the group, I always put myself in a different category than them, they were a group, and I was just me.

Each one of them still had someone they could rely on.

T-dog was close with everyone but it seemed as though he had a soft spot for Glenn.

Glenn's Family didn't survive, yet he found comfort with Dale and T-dog as if they were his own family, and the sneaky boy had found himself a sweet girl that seemed to care for him.

Dale had taken Andrea under his wing as if she were his own daughter, and while Andrea had lost her sister, she seemed to lean on Shane and Dale for support.

And while Shane and Rick had their evident problems, the two had a unique bond that seemed to strengthen one another.

Luckiest of them all, Rick, who had his family, his pregnant wife and his son, who gave him hope of life at the end of the world. And even if Lori challenged Rick's ideas at times, she would always support her husband and stand by his side.

Lori and Carol also seemed to share a maternal bond, both mothers who worried about their kids and would give up their lives for the sake of the children they bared.

And last of all, Daryl.

He was the mystery. He didn't rely on anyone for anything. The one person who didn't seem to blend in with the group.

Maybe we weren't too different after all.

Standing In front of the big house, I took in the sight of the beautiful white house.

I took a picture of the beauty and waited for the film to develop before writing on the back of the image.

"The Greene's farmhouse. Maybe living here wouldn't be too bad"

I always dreamed of owning such land, with a house that could fit all my children and a loving husband, filled with laughter and love.

Maybe that's why the Greene's land seemed somewhat nostalgic. It reminded me of my fantasy that would never come true.

A fantasy I wish I could have lived in longer, but of course, it had to be broken. by Shane of all people.

"Nice camera you got there." He pointed to the camera in my hands as he eyed me up and down.

I mumbled a quick 'thanks' before attempting to walk past him. But he was quick with holding onto my arm in a tight grasp.

I didn't dare make eye contact with him, because I truly did not want to rile him up and give him reasons to harm me. So instead, I kept my head straight and stared off into the distance as I felt his body leaning into mine until his mouth was near my ear and his breath was fanning onto the side of my face.