21 | Stay

I couldn't get to her; I didn't get to her on time.

I was too late.

This is why I wanted to be alone, this is exactly what I have been trying to avoid.

Carol's cries echoed through my ears, as I just stared into the woods; where Sophia ran to, where rick went after her.

What the hell is happening to me? what did I see? Is it the future?

To sum it up, a herd passed over the highway we were on. We hid under the cars, inside the car's blah blah. Carl and Sophia were under a car together, and once it got quiet, Sophia decided that it was safe for her to get out, but once she did, two walkers attacked her. Leading her to run into the woods on her own. But fortunately, Rick went after her.

I saw it all happen, right Infront of my eyes, I tried to get to her, to help her, to stop her from getting out of the car, or just to be by her side; I was so scared of what I had seen, a child walker, a child that I knew. I just wanted to keep her safe.

But everything went to hell the moment my head stopped hurting, the walkers had come, and I hadn't noticed them; I froze, I had no weapons on me, and I was completely oblivious to the fact that there was a huge herd coming our way. If not for Daryl shoving me inside one of the cars, I would've been dead. I tried to protest against him, I tried telling him that I needed to get to Sophia, but he just covered my mouth with his hand and held me in my place, preventing me from any movement.

Rick's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

He's back!

Is she okay? Is she with him?

I ran towards his voice, only to see that he had come back alone.

Disappointment and guilt filled me as I watched Carol crumble down in front of Rick.

I could've stopped her; I could've prevented this. stupid Daryl had to act like a hero and stop me.

***

Where the hell is she?

They went back for her, Rick, Shane, Daryl and Glenn, they all went back to where Rick had last seen her. While back at the highway, we were clearing the cars. Dale wanted us to do it, so he could turn the RV around. I think he just wanted to keep us busy.

I wasn't much help, I was still gathering some stuff. I had gotten my pack back, with all my weapons and belongings. The familiar weight of my sword on my hip, my knives, my handgun. It felt familiar, I felt like me again.

As I was looking through one of the cars, I heard some noises coming from beside me. I turned around to see Carl, hopping into the front seat of a car, he was struggling with something, and then he toppled back out of the car. I ran forward to catch him before he hit the ground, which caused me to fall as well. But thankfully he fell on top of me and didn't hit the ground. Although my back did hurt from the impact, I didn't care.

"You comfortable up there?" I groaned; he was looking at something in his hands. I sat up, having him in my lap.

You smart son of a-

"You are one brave kid, you know that?" I smiled down at him, seeing the bright big smile on his face, as he stared, fascinated at the arsenal in his hands.

He looked up at me with his bright blue eyes glowing so beautifully.

This kid deserves a normal life

at that moment, I knew that I needed to protect him, I didn't know what it was, but a strong feeling took over me, I guess it was care.

"I have to show Shane. This is awesome!"