one.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄. | ❛ Unforeseen. ❜

JAMIE DASHED INTO THE ENTRANCE OF THE HOSPITAL, her eyes frantically darting across the many halls of the center with heavy leaden feet as she searched for the Russian assassin, whom from the sound of their call earlier sounded distraught and stressed. The only information she was given was that Fury was in the hospital, which made the former soldier drop everything she was doing and drive to meet the others. And now, standing in front of her boss' door, she slightly hesitated before opening the door.

Her breath hitched, feeling pain prickling inside her chest as she watched numerous doctors operating on Fury. She sauntered in towards the pane of glass, completely oblivious of her friends watching her with a worried gaze. She clenched her jaw, blinking a few times to prevent herself from crying.

Jamie could feel a hand gently tracing down her back and she slowly turned her head, locking eyes with Maria who gave her a comforting smile. Her eyes softened, her teary eyes matching hers and she gave her small smile before averting her gaze away from Maria's face towards the glass window.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha broke the ice, her stoic expression reflection through the glass. Her mouth slightly gaped open when one of the operators sliced another needle through Fury's skin, making her heart clench.

"I don't know," Steve answered, his tone dull as he stared down at his lifeless body on the table. Jamie snapped out of her melancholia and turned her head to the pair, her eyes lingering longer on the redhead. Her eyes softened and she inched closer to her friend, putting a reassuring hand on her bicep.

Natasha glanced at her with a tip-lipped smile, putting her hand on hers, giving it a light squeeze before she put on her tough demeanor. "Tell me about the shooter."

"He's fast and strong," Steve informed, placing both of his hands on the counter. He clenched his jaw and let out a sigh. "Had a metal arm." he finished, his eyes staring straight ahead.

Jamie's eyebrows knitted together, her heart thumping loudly against her chest at the mention of the metal arm, her mind going into haywire. Jamie and Natasha shared a look, a knowing expression etched onto their faces but the pair were too stunned to speak.

Maria took a step closer to the trio, her arms crossed in front of her chest. Jamie rested her fingers on her lips, her eyes narrowed as she thought of the possibilities of a certain soldier appearing in the daylight after being known as a ghost story.

"Ballistics?" Natasha questioned, her voice echoing through the room.

Maria cleared her throat, "Three slugs, no riffling. Completely untraceable."

"Soviet-made." Jamie and Natasha said in unison, earning a questionable look from Maria as she looked at the pair.

"Yeah."