eight.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. | ❛ Plan B. ❜

JAMIE SAT BESIDE NATASHA, having Sam and Steve across from them as they were being escorted in a van. It was dead silence, an uncomfortable one in Jamie's opinion. She noticed Steve's change in demeanor and wanted to voice her concerns, but decided against it.

"It was him. He looked right at me like he didn't even know me." Steve broke the ice, looking at his hands with a thoughtful expression.

"How's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago." Sam questioned, looking at Steve with a confused look.

"Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and..." Steve replied, his voice getting smaller at the end.

Natasha gave Steve a reassuring look. "None of that's your fault, Steve."

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky." Steve shared, his eyes tinged with sadness.

Jamie could feel Natasha's ragged breathing and she shifted in her seat so that she could lay her head on her shoulder. She clenched her jaw, her worried eyes taking in her injured form. Jamie looked at the guards with annoyance. "She needs medical assistance, we need a doctor here," she demanded.

Out of surprise, one of the guards pulled out an electric rod and neutralized the other guard, knocking him out. The guard revealed Maria Hill as she took off her helmet. "Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain," she complained, looking at the helmet.

Sam looked at her in confusion, and Maria turned to Steve. "Who's this guy?"

__________

Maria took them to what seemed like a secret facility. As they walked inside the building, a man ran towards them; referring to Natasha's wound. "GSW. She's lost at least a pint." Maria told the man.

"Maybe two," Sam added, looking at the redhead with worry.

A doctor neared the group, gesturing his hand to her. "Let me take him."

"She'll want to see him first," Maria said, taking them to Fury, who was alive and lying in bed. The quartet looked at him in shock.

"About damn time." Nick Fury said, opening his eyes and looking at them with a look. "Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache."

"Don't forget a collapsed lung." A familiar voice echoed across the room, making Jamie turn on her heel. A content sigh escaped from her lips and she walked towards him, launching into Elijah's arms, holding him tight.

"Hey, sweetheart." Elijah softly whispered into her ear, rubbing her back soothingly.

Jamie quickly pulled away, thinking of her other longtime friend. "Annie...Is she okay?" she worried, her brows knitted.