2: Drama

"Really?! You're so lucky! My Ojīsan keeps mixing up me and my brother's favorite foods," A civilian girl who also enrolled into the Academy says with a pout. Seven year old Kaida grips the horticulture book one of her uncles had sent her as a gift tightly. Her friends surrounding her glance at the tight grip with wary eyes.

  "That's not bad!" Yamanaka Ino, the seven year old Yamanaka heiress and the Haruno twins' good friend, tries to reason. The civilian girl Kaida never bothered to remember her name gives the platinum blonde a blank stare.

  "My brother likes peanut butter cookies," She states emotionlessly. "I'm allergic to peanuts."

  "Oh... That's pretty bad," Ino says, wincing in sympathy. Kaida waits for Sakura to tap her hand before she turns the page.

  "Hey, Haruno-san," The civilian girl starts with a cheerful smile.

  "Hm?" Kaida glances up from her book to give the girl her full attention.

  "What's your grandpa like? I bet he's silly like your father!" The girl asks, giggling at the end. Kaida forces a smile on her face, closing her book a bit too forcefully. She hands it to Sakura.

  "Yeah! You never mention any of your family except your parents!" Ino exclaims before she gasps dramatically. "Don't tell me! Your family was killed by a large plague hitting your village and your parents were the only one to survive, coming to Konoha to have a new life!"

  "Where's Naru when you need him?" The pink haired girl thinks gloomily as she messes with her single braid, rolling her eyes at Ino's outlandish guess.

  "Ino, that's too troublesome. Leave Kai alone," Nara Shikamaru, seven year old Nara heir and Kaida's cloud watching partner, sighs tiredly. Ino pouts and crosses her arms, ignoring Shikamaru.

  "You never asked about my family, so I never said anything." Kaida sighs with a small shrug. "Would you like to know about my family?"

  "Of course! Do you have any family drama details?" Ino asks excitedly. Kaida laughs softly and brushes her braid behind her ear.

  "One of our uncles who married into the family cheated on Fuji-oba with Ayame-oba, but Ayame-oba didn't know Genji-oji was Fuji-oba's husband. Both Fuji-oba and Ayame-oba, when they found out what Genji-oji had done, asked Sofu-sama for permission before they publicly castrated him and left him. Fuji-oba then met a wandering kunoichi and fell in love with her, not realizing the kunoichi was Gachi-oba, Genji-oji's older sister. When Gachi-oba found out what Genji-oji did, she personally invited him and their family to their wedding, not telling him she was marrying Fuji-oba. Sofu-sama officiated the marriage all the while staring at Genji-oji coldly. Ayame-oba had a one night stand with Genji-oji's younger half-brother, Naoyuki-oji, on the wedding night and got pregnant. They decided to get married too, for the child, and later fell in love. Genji-oji was exiled and tried to get his revenge, but the night he tried to kill Junko-jūmei, Naoyuki-oji's and Ayame-oba's child, he slipped and hit his head on the stone floor. He died from a brain injury," Kaida says, staring off into space as she recalls the story. She remembers the weddings. They were beautiful.

  "Your aunt sounds like a badass!" Ino exclaims loudly. Kaida gives her a small glare at the curse word before shrugging.

  "Sofu-sama was livid that someone as weak and cowardly as Genji-oji was able to get through the compound's defenses. He increased the security, especially around the rooms where kids sleep and play in. I only saw Sofu-sama that angry once, and it was when I almost got taken two years before," Kaida adds, making Ino gasp in shock. Shikamaru blinks in surprise while Sakura leans on Kaida, scowling at the memory.