9: Ambush Time

Kaida hung upside from the tree near the village gate. Her eyes were closed as she meditated. Her ōdachi leaned against her pack on the ground.

"Why is the girl doing that? Does she have nothing better to do?" Tazuna's voice breaks the pink haired girl's concentration. She ignores the conversation below her, still meditating. He has a slow, but hardworking spark of a faint misty blue.

"She's meditating. Naruto-kun, don't mess with her. You're still on thin ice from waking her up two weeks ago," Hinata says softly. She had a strong, quiet spark of white and lilac. Naruto laughs sheepishly. He had a brightly burning red and orange spark of stubbornness and the Will of Fire.

Kaida opens her eyes when she senses Kakashi's spark. A wolf, hardworking and loyal, of a silvery blue.

"Hello, my insufferable little Genin!" Kakashi exclaims in cheer.

Kaida turns her head and gives her sensei a small, unimpressed stare. "You are here. On time. Impressive."

She swings off of the branch and gracefully lands on her feet. Kaida brushes any dirt off of her short kimono dress before grabbing her pack and her ōdachi.

"Woah! Kai, that looks badass! Where'd you get it?" Naruto exclaims staring at the sword with starry eyes. Kaida smiles softly while she tucks the sword into her obi.

"Okāsan gave it to me. She said it was meant to be a surprise, but she wants me to be safe." She stares down at the ōdachi. "It's a bit too big for my size, but I'll get the hang of it."

"Don't lie to yourself, Kaida. You know what this means. It was meant for you, remember?" Inner sneers before disappearing. Kaida ignores the statement.

"Are we all ready to go? And yes, I have extra seals for you to work on, Naru-kun." Kaida gives a teasing smile to the blonde before the five start the week long trek to Nami no Kuni.

"Man, this is so exciting, dattebayo! Going out of the village!" Naruto exclaims loudly.

"It is quite exciting," Kaida agrees, making the blonde and Hinata stare at her with deadpan expressions.

"Kaida-chan, you've travelled across the entire Elemental Nations," Hinata points out.

Kaida glares at her, a small blush forming on her cheeks. "I have never been to Nami no Kuni, so it is just as exciting for me as it is for you. And I have not travelled across all of the Elemental Nations. Iwagakure no Sato and Otogakure no Sato are still... finicky with my clan for our allegiances, so I have not visited them."

"Doesn't your uncle live in Iwagakure?" The mention makes Kaida frown. Yes, Haruno Mitsukane.

"Mitsukane-oji is still estranged, but yes. He and his family reside in Iwagakure," She confirms. They continue conversations, walking at an easy, slow pace.

-----

Kaida feels a flicker of two sparks, both sinister in intentions, coming closer. She doesn't mention it, but casually looks around.

"Puddle." The pink haired girl spots the large puddle and frowns slightly. She discreetly raises two fingers towards her friends, gently placing a hand on the hilt of her ōdachi. They quickly-still appearing oblivious- slow down to flank Tazuna on both sides. Kaida takes the lead, turning around to walk backwards.

"What is your home like, Tazuna-san? From Gachi-oba's stories, I heard it is a beautiful country," She strikes conversation with the old man.

"It is and don't let people tell you wrong!" The sparks from the puddle flare out. Kaida unsheathes her ōdachi and blocks a serrated chain. She scrunches her nose in slight disgust when she catches a whiff of a tangy smell. Poison.