Chapter 10 Kayla

I decided to go to Nivea's shop today and get myself a mini makeover. I mean, I am not a girl who wears a lot of makeup or dresses up very often, but in my defense, I am simple. I just like it better that way. I like my bun I wear almost every day since working at the diner includes that in the dress code, and it has just become apart of who I am. Besides, when you live in the Florida heat, you have no choice but to be natural. Well, I see it that way, but Niv, she is always done up to the nine. I have never been one of those girls, and I never will be. I am thinking today that I want to do something fun, though, just not too crazy. My hair is long and super straight, but it's never had any color, so it's just a mousy brown. I think I'd like to add some purple streaks, which is going to make for a very happy Nivea! She has been dying to get her hands on my head since she began this journey of becoming a stylist. I cannot count how many times in high school she begged for me to be her guinea pig. I always declined, of course, but she never could understand how her best friend wouldn't support her. I told her she could practice doing my brows and giving me a trim, but I am not fancy like that. Eventually, she came to terms with it and let it go. Today, though, I am feeling brand new, like a woman who needs a change. I might even add some layers to my hair, something else I have never done before. Once I cleanse my hair of its natural beauty to add this violet vibrant new look, I am going to lunch with Nivea, and I cannot wait. I am in desperate need of some girl time and a glass of wine.

I walk into Nivea's salon, and I can hear her on the phone with a client towards the back, so I take a seat in one of the stylist's chairs. It used to bother me she didn't have a waiting room, but now I understand why. She is the only one who works here, and she jumps from client to client, overbooking herself all day. This is how she does it. She uses these four round mint green chairs to work on clients separately and together. It works for her. I haven't been in here for a long time, and it looks different than I remember. I guess I never paid it much attention before. Niv has always had a career and been a go-getter, and I have just been a waitress. I never felt jealous, but now, sitting here seeing what she's done, it's like seeing it for the first time. I can't explain it, but now I feel a twinge of jealousy. She's teeming with success, and I am over here serving hot plates. Why haven't I chosen to do something with my life? What am I so afraid of?

"Hey, Lady."

"Oh, hey, Niv." I stand to give her a hug, and she kisses me on the cheek and grabs my shoulders to push me away while she stares at my face. I am feeling awkward, but I am guessing she is designing me in her head, much like any artist does with their blank canvas.

"I am so excited for this and have waited so long! I am going to make you the prettiest girl in all of Lutz! Not that you aren't already, but Kay Kay, you know I got you! Just wait!"

Those words sent me into fear, and not because I doubt her skills, but because I am not one for change, and her tone makes me realize she might just go overboard because this is her one chance!

"Niv, nothing crazy, please. I am only looking for a couple pieces of color, and I don't want to walk out of here looking crazy. I do have to work tomorrow."

Niv looked at me like I had eight heads but assured me she knew me and how afraid I was, so I needed to trust her. Trust wasn't my strong suit, so I was taking leaps and bounds right now by even sitting in this chair. I just decided to relax and told myself, "Hey, what's the worst that can happen?"

When my hair was finished, Niv spun me around in the chair to see my new self for the first time, and I stared at the person in the mirror for a long while. I couldn't speak because, for the first time in my life, I finally recognized myself. I finally saw the person I have been hiding behind all this time. I saw a beautiful girl with gorgeous waves that glowed with purple strands weaved in them. I saw a girl who looked innocent but hurt. I saw a girl who was coming out of her shell and finding her way. A girl who was changing for the better and making waves that no one could stop.

"I love it, Niv, I really love it, you did such a good job, and I don't know why I was so afraid because I should've let you do this years ago! Omigosh, I really feel like a brand-new person, I can't even explain it."

"See, I told you. I know what I am doing, and I wouldn't let you down."

"No, you never do, but now I am starving and ready to show off my hair. Let's go."

We headed into town, which isn't much of a place to begin with, but again, Lutz is a small suburb of Tampa. However, we do have the Market Hall, which features Tampa's Premium Outlets, and it's about as nice as it gets in our part of town. We head straight for Longhorn Steak House and start out with a glass of champagne to celebrate my new look. I am excited to be out with Niv. I really miss how much we used to hang out, and right now, being with her has made me realize I am lost without her. She really is my best friend, and no one can take her place.

We sat there laughing and talking for hours. I told Niv how my mom had another drunken night episode where she made one of her epic debuts in the yard with Uncle Rodney, and of course, Niv was supportive and told me she was sorry. She told me about her new friend Miranda and how much she really enjoys her company and helping clean out Mrs. Levitt's house. She told me they found a diary, and she is interested in what an old lady would write down. We talked about her salon and how busy she was and what dating apps she was using. We laughed and drank till the sun went down. I miss Nivea, and I miss nights like this. We took a selfie together and posted it to Facebook with the caption Best Friends Forever!

****

When I got home, I was in the best mood. I couldn't wait to take a shower and just relax in my bed. However, the world had different plans for me. I thought nothing could ruin my night, but on my way home, I got a call from Uncle Dave, and he said my mom was rushed to Tampa Medical and I needed to meet them there. Here we go again, another night of taking care of Mom. I wonder what it's like to be a normal family and have your mom worry about you. I turned around at the next intersection and hopped on the highway to the city. I sped as fast as I could without drawing attention to myself because the last thing I needed was a ticket. I pulled into the hospital parking lot and headed for the emergency room doors. Once inside, I was greeted by Uncle Dave, his wife Anna, and my other uncle, Ben. Dave gave me a big hug and said, "Long time no see. You look good, Kay. I love the streaks of purple, when did that happen?" Well, I wanted to say, not long enough ago for me to enjoy it before your sister ruins another night, but instead, I opted for a simple, "Today, actually, how's my mom?" Before he could answer, my aunt Anna spoke up and said, "You know, Kay, it's not fair you have to deal with this, and I really think it's time you move out of your mom's house. You shouldn't be babysitting her; she is a grown woman, and no child should have to do what you do." I agreed, but the thing is, my aunt Anna has never liked my mom. They never did get along. Uncle Dave and my mom are the closest in age. The birth order is Rodney, Ben, my mom—Joanna, and then Dave. Aunt Anna has only known my mom as a drunk, never as a mom or anything else for that matter. Uncle Dave sides with his wife a lot because, well, that's what husbands do, but Uncle Ben is not married, he's divorced and had no kids, so he doesn't say much in regard to parenting. I smiled at Aunt Anna and then told her I appreciate her concern; however, I know my mom needs me. She didn't like my answer and signed an exaggerated breath and then rolled her eyes and looks at my uncle Dave and asks how much longer till they can leave. I didn't say much; I just took my seat and waited for the explanation. Uncle Dave ignored his wife and told me that my mom had alcohol poisoning and that this time it was bad. He went on to explain that her liver was shutting down from her drinking and that the doctors were removing one of her kidneys. I wasn't sure how to take the news. I was concerned for my mom but also for Jerimiah, who hasn't so much as texted or called me. "Has anyone notified J about my moms' condition?" No one did. No one so much as even shot him a quick text. Uncle Ben finally spoke only to say, "Isn't he off at school somewhere out west? He's probably busy and doesn't need to be bothered." Then it occurred to me, why am I the one who is bothered? Why is he off Scott free while I give up my nights in my twenties to clean up puke for a grown woman? We sat in silence for what felt like hours, and finally, the doctor came out to say she was going to be just fine, but she was not going home for a while. Is it rude that this made me happy? I was glad, and I pretty sure didn't hide the expression well enough on my face. I didn't care, though. I just asked if we could see her so I could say goodnight and go home! I just can't keep doing this anymore. I think maybe for once I agree with my aunt Anna; it's time for my mom to take care of herself!