Chapter 34 Kayla

I got my passport and changed my name at the courthouse. I am no longer going to associate myself with this town or these people. Slim had the nerve to send me a letter from her cell to try and apologize. I have no words for her. She disgusts me and can rot there for all I care. I was up late last night deciding where I was going to go trying to research different countries. I decided on Canada. First of all, they speak English, which is important to me since I literally speak only one language. I found a nice apartment in Alberta. I take pride in my white heritage, and it seems Canadians are the same. I found that there are several restaurants I could work for and then take online courses at University. I am going to move on in my life. Find a path and make friends. New friends. I am never coming back. I am going to fight for citizenship and enjoy a cold winter. Eat maple syrup and ride the trains. Embrace the new culture and start fresh. I will miss Jerimiah, but I can't face him and all he has become. I think more than anyone I will miss Niv, but she is on board with making changes. At this point, I view her as toxic. I can't be friends with someone who accepts gays and blacks. My family has tarnished our name. They have ruined my childhood, and all this coming to light has given me the answers to all my issues. I have to say the beach is my happy place, but it is filled with memories I would rather not revisit. Although I am starting over and leaving my hometown, I will be back to visit my father's grave. If he were here, he could explain to me his mistake with Seven and why he did what he did to our family. To me, to my mom and J. Without my dad, I have no reason to be here. I have no one to relate to or understand me. I am white. I wear my white skin proudly, and I will always be an American Girl. My life and my name changing. I will always remember where I am from and who I was, but in my future, I will never answer to the name Kayla Gray again. My roots may always be in Lutz, but my heart will now be in Canada.