Chapter 28

(Y/n) Pov

"What is this ?" I wanted to know from Pietro. "Open it and you'll see." he evaded the question. So I took the package and carefully pulled one end of the ribbon to open it. Then I lifted the lid. In front of me, lying on a little absorbent cotton, was a cell phone. "What is this ?" I asked anyway, because I didn't know why Pietro gave me a cell phone. "This (Y/n), is a phone. P-H-O-N-E." he joked and I rolled my eyes. "I also know that this is a phone. But why are you giving me this ?" Now Pietro took the cell phone out of the box and pushed it aside. While he was tapping on it, he started talking. "Well, your phone was destroyed in the fire, but I was able to save the SIM card. Meaning..." he paused for a moment and turned the display in my direction. "At least you still have all your contacts and you can write or call them." 

Stunned, I stared at the display. Sure enough, there I read the names of my friends and a few relatives, including my parents and Lizzie. "Wow...Pietro this is- Thank you so much." I managed to get out. "No problem. I knew they were important to you and this way you can keep in touch with them." I nodded and took the phone from his hand. "And from the way I've gotten to know you over the past few days, I'm now assuming that you'll want to call them directly. So I'm going to go outside for a bit and leave you here alone. I'll pick you up later." I smiled at him gratefully. He really was a good friend, even if he was holding me captive, so to speak. But at least he was trying to make the best of it. 

Now I dialed the number of my best friend. I really needed to talk to her, even if I could only tell her half the truth. The phone rang and with each ring I became a little more nervous. "Hello?" Lizzie's voice suddenly rang out and my heart leapt for joy. "Hello Lizzie." I said and a few tears of joy ran down my cheek. "(Y/n) ?! Is that you?" "Yes Lizzie, it's me." "Ahhh finally ! Why haven't you called for so long? Didn't you read my note?" she asked excitedly. "Yes I did. But I've had a lot of...stress lately. And then I also broke my cell phone." I explained. "Oh well, that's one excuse I'll give you. How in the world did you destroy your cell phone? Did you take it apart to get spare parts for a machine?" she asked laughing and I had to smile. "Not exactly. I just..." my eyes fell on the cup in front of me. "Poured cocoa over it." , "Oh (Y/n) ! You are such a scatterbrain." "Yes indeed I am. But luckily a...work colleague of mine got a new one and changed the SIM card." "Uwww and that's what colleagues do?" Lizzie wanted to know and I knew exactly what she was getting at. "Well, we get along quite well. I guess you could call us friends." "Just friends?" she asked. "Just friends." I confirmed. "Great. And I thought you had finally found someone again." she said, disappointed. With this sentence she gave my heart a little stab. "Says exactly the right person." I quickly replied to dispel the strange feeling. "No, no. I've had enough of men for now. And you haven't met anyone else interesting ?" Oh Lizzie...if you knew who I had met here. But that was out of the question. "No. No one." I sighed then. "Well, you sound motivated." Lizzie returned ironically. "Is the work fun ?" We talked a bit about my "work", about what was going on at her place and also about God and the world. It was really good to hear her voice.

Natasha Pov

Quite great ! Just now Pietro had come to the hospital room and said that I should pick up (Y/n) in the cafeteria. We could move into her room now. Well maybe I should give (Y/n) a chance. I really missed talking to her. So I had grabbed my crutches and was now walking to the cafeteria. When I was at the door I heard (Y/n) laughing. It sounded so beautiful the way she laughed. No ! Stop Natasha. There was also another voice that I couldn't place. When I walked a little far I saw (Y/n). She was sitting at a table and in front of her was a cell phone. "You'll never get rid of that (Y/n)." someone laughed. "Oh shut up Lizzie." said (Y/n), also laughing. She hadn't noticed me yet, so I cleared my throat a little. Startled, she flinched and her head snapped up to me. As she did so, she knocked over the cup in front of her. "нахуй !" she yelled and I looked at her confused. Had I ever said that to her. "(Y/n) ? What's wrong ? Was that Russian ? Since when do you speak Russian ?" asked Lizzie from the phone. "С тех пор, как она встретила меня." (Since she knows me.) I replied, although I knew perfectly well that neither of them had understood me. 

(Y/n) in the meantime had taken some napkins and was trying to wipe up the cocoa. Now I came closer. "Who was that ? And why is she speaking Russian ?" "Is that Lizzie?" I asked, standing right next to the table. "Yes, that's Lizzie." answered (Y/n) quickly, but she was still busy with the napkins. "Pleased to...meet you Lizzie. I've heard a lot about you." I greeted her best friend through the phone. "Um...hello. And you are?" she asked confused. "Oh, I'm Natasha. A-" "work colleague of mine." (Y/n) interrupted me and gave me a warning look. "Ah ok. And why does she speak Russian ? And above all...why do you speak Russian ?" "Because I'm Russian, sweetheart. And (Y/n) is always picking up some words from me." I explained to her. "You must work together a lot." "You could say that," I said, grinning to myself. (Y/n) had wiped away her cocoa in the meantime and now turned to us again. "So, I am also very happy that you have met each other now. But I think we have to go now. Or Natasha ?" she threw me an inviting look. "Yeah, absolutely. It was nice talking to you Lizzie." "Nice to meet you too. And (Y/n) don't forget to ask." What did she mean by that? "Yeah, I won't. Bye, Lizzie. Love you. I'll write to you later." (Y/n) said goodbye. "Okay, bye. Love you too." Then she hung up. 

Now (Y/n) took a deep breath. "That was close. What do you want Natasha ?" I was a bit startled by her harsh tone. I was not used to that from her. Confused, I looked at her. "Can't I look after you?" I asked, but she just looked at me emotionlessly. After a while she said, "So...?" What was wrong with her? "Pietro sent me. We can move into your room now." I explained." Mhh ok. Let's go and get our things." she mumbled to herself. Then she got up and walked past me to the elevators without looking at me. I didn't understand the world anymore. What happened here?