Chapter 43

Natasha POV

Two weeks had now passed since the car accident. Two weeks that hurt me terribly.

(Y/n) had not moved from our room. She didn't eat, didn't get out of bed and didn't speak. For her sake, I slept on the couch for the moment.
Clint had offered me to sleep with him, but somehow that didn't feel right.

Everyone could see that (Y/n) was a mess. But no one could really help her, because she wouldn't let anyone get close to her. And it broke my heart a little bit to see her like that.

Tony had agreed to pay for the organization and payment of the funeral. We had found out that neither (Y/n) nor Lizzie had any living relatives who could pay for everything.

Well that was not quite true (Y/n) had a great aunt in France. But she didn't make any effort to answer her phone or to be reachable in any other way. So in principle she was not even existent.

Lizzie had a grandmother, whom we had already informed. However, with her small pension she could not pay for everything and we did not want her to. Of course there were some family friends on both sides, but who expected them to pay for a funeral of their friends.

So we had taken care of everything. We had invited friends and relatives. Fetched flowers. And gotten everything else, too. With the consent of Lizzie's grandmother, we had decided to bury all four of them in a rather small cemetery on the outskirts of town. She had also told us that Lizzie had loved birch trees, so we decided to bury her next to one. I and the rest of the team thought it was a nice gesture.

And today was the day. Today was the funeral. Everyone, including me, was getting ready. I had tied my red hair into a low bun. I wore a simple black dress and black shoes with a small heel. God how I hated that they kept the mood so somber, but that's how it was expected of you.

I quickly grabbed a pair of sunglasses. Today was one of those days when a light autumn wind was blowing outside and the sun was only sparsely visible, but I didn't have to share my tears with everyone. In addition, I did not know whether I would shed any at all. After all, I didn't really know any of the four and this wasn't really my first funeral. But this way no one could see if I was crying or not.

Now I just had to see that (Y/n) was done.

(Y/n) Pov

The last few days had been worse than anything else ever. At first I couldn't really believe that they were...well dead. For hours I had paced up and down my room, trying to figure out what was wrong. Trying to find some tiny flaw. But I couldn't find it. I didn't find it and I realized it was over. All of it.

The time with my parents. The shopping trips with Lizzie and the game nights with her and Matt. Everything was taken away from me. And from whom? By Hydra.

Since that realization I was angry at everything and everyone. Angry at Hydra, angry at the doctors, angry that my parents wanted to go here and somehow angry at myself. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Like that was going to change anything.

And my sadness wasn't the only problem. More and more often, my body was partially dissolving. But I had not told anyone about it. Why should I ? It wouldn't change anything.

And then there were the dreams. They had also appeared more and more often. Had torn me from my sleep about the exhaustion. With the difference that it seemed much more real now. The Hydra agent appeared and took away my family and my friends. That's how it had been, wasn't it ? What I still didn't understand was why I had dreamed all this before and why Natasha was in this dream.

Thoughtfully, I turned my glass back and forth in my hand and stared holes in the air. Suddenly there was a knock at my door.

"(Y/n)? Are you ready?" I heard Natasha's voice a moment later. "Ready for what?" I asked quietly, but still so that she could hear me. There was a short pause and I heard her expel the air and drop her head against the door.