Chapter III

"Yeah, I'm on my way to the airport now."

Weiss sat in the limousine, Jacques and Whitley sitting on the opposite side of the vehicle, watching her talk to Ruby.

"My father and brother are coming with me," she said. "Mother is staying home. Father wanted someone to watch over the house and company while he was gone."

There was a brief silence as Weiss listened to what Ruby had to say. Weiss looked up at her father, who had his arms crossed. Understanding he was waiting for her to finish, she sighed.

"I... um... I gotta go."

She hung up the scroll, setting it aside.

"You know," Jacques said, "you should appreciate this. It's not often I would do something like this for you."

Weiss rolled her eyes. "Yeah, okay. Thank you."

Whitley sighed, turning to Jacques. "Why are we doing this again?"

Jacques ignored him. "Remember, it's only for one week, and then we're returning home."

"... Right."

Weiss looked out the window, avoiding eye contact with Jacques.

"Listen, Weiss," Jacques said, "I have taken the courtesy of allowing you to see your friends. I would appreciate--"

He was cut off as the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. Jacques was about to scold them, when he noticed the sound of sirens passing the vehicle.

"What's happening?!" he called.

Weiss let the conversation zone out from her mind as she looked out the window behind her, eyes widened at what she saw.

Ashes were descending from the sky.

"It looks like something bad is happening," Whitley said.

Weiss turned around, and her eyes widened as she saw the window behind Jacques and Whitley.

A tower was on fire in the distance...