Epilogue

The train came to a slow halt.

Weiss and Momo climbed out from the train, looking on at the military barricade leading to Vale. Infected corpses lay on the ground, either blown to bits, or burned to a crisp.

A long, dark tunnel was ahead of them, and they knew there moving to some form of military stakeout. Hopefully, they would finally find safety here.

Weiss didn't care about any of that. Her father was gone. There was so much she'd wanted to tell him. To show him.

She'd wanted him to meet her friends. She'd wanted the world to know the brave man he'd become. She'd wanted to have a genuine father.

Most of all, she'd wanted a family.

The two were unaware of the Atlesian soldiers peering through binoculars and a sniper rifle, spotting their silhouettes in the tunnel.

"Look," the one with the binoculars said, pointing to the figures. He pulled out his scroll, contacting Ironwood. "2 bogeys approaching from the tunnel. Presumably two women. Over."

"Check for infection, over," was Ironwood's reply.

They looked through the binoculars, and the scope on the sniper, unable to take in the details of the silhouettes.

"Where did you just come from?" the second soldier whispered.

The first lifted his scroll.

"Unable to verify on visual. Please advise, over."

The next response got them worried.

"Kill them. Over."

They had no clue if they were survivors or not. What if they shot civilians looking for safety.

But, orders were orders, and the second soldier looked through the scope, focusing his aim on the taller silhouette.

He slowly brought a finger to the trigger, preparing to fire.

"Mirror, tell me something
Tell me who's the loneliest of all?"

He came to a stop as he heard her voice, eyes widening at the sound.

"Mirror, tell me something
Tell me who's the loneliest of all?
Mirror, what's inside of me
Tell me can a heart be turned to stone?"

The voice was soft, clearly having talent, but also so heartbroken by whatever its owner had experienced that it couldn't keep from wavering.

Still, the sound of the girl's voice was enough to prove these were survivors.

"Survivors incoming!"

Soldiers ran into the tunnel to reach the survivors.

"Mirror, mirror, what's behind you?
Save me from the things I've seen
I can keep it from the world
Why won't you let me hide from me?
Mirror, mirror, tell me something
Who's the loneliest of all?"

Weiss lowered her voice, as she saw the soldiers rushing towards them.

It was all about to be over. They were in safe hands now.

Weiss wiped a tear from her scarred eye, and took a deep breath, before finishing the song.

"I'm the loneliest of all..."