Chapter VIII

Weiss hadn't seen the infected up close before.

She had seen them from behind the door when they first attacked, and she had seen them on TV.

But that attack at the airport was the first up-close encounter she'd had with the infected, and it was the most terrifying experience of her life.

She stood in the halls of the airship, panting rapidly, as she stood beside Momo, Anna, and Oswald, panting heavily. The trauma from the escape was instant, and Weiss felt her heart thumping in her chest.

Momo had her own trauma, but she knew she needed to call Jacob to make sure he was alright. However, as she was about to dial his number, Oswald put his hand over the scroll, staring in horror down the hall.

A pack of infected stood on the opposite end of the hall. They hadn't noticed them yet, but if they were to turn around, the four would be overrun in seconds.

Luckily, they were standing directly next to a restroom.

Weiss slowly backed away from the group, approaching the bathroom behind them. The others turned around, seeing her open the door.

She peered inside to see it was empty. She turned back to the others, and waved them over. Momo, Anna, and Oswald approached the bathroom, stepping inside. Weiss waited for them all to be inside, before she walked in herself.

Then, her heart dropped as she heard a low snarl nearby.

She turned to see an infected dashing towards her, and she quickly ran into the bathroom, shutting the door. But the infected was too fast, blocking the door with its head.

The commotion caught the attention of other infected, and they ran for the bathroom, snarling loudly as they scratched at the door.

Momo let a metal bo staff form from her hand, and used it to bash the infected back, while Weiss formed a glyph over the door to push it closed.

An announcement came over the speakers from one of the pilots.

"Attention, everyone. For the safety of those on board, we're heading straight for Vale. We are approaching a thunderstorm, which could interfere with the ship's already damaged power. We will have to turn out the lights to keep the ship moving."

Whitley quickly snatched the scroll from the staff's hand, putting it to his ear.

"Can anyone hear me?"

"Go ahead," came the reply.

"Were you able to contact Vale?"

"No. Vale's communications are erratic."

"Full speed-no matter what, or we won't get in! Understand?"

Amy gasped as she realized she was getting a call from Sonic. She pulled it out and put it to her ear.

"Sonic, where are you?!" she said.

"I'm alright!" the sobbing voice of Sonic came through. "I'm on Hallway 9 with a couple more survivors!"

Tears flowed from Amy's eyes. "I thought you were dead!"

"I'm sorry!" Sonic cried. "No one else made it! I'm sorry..."

Jacques sighed as he sat against the wall, his thoughts entirely on Weiss.

He knew Whitley was alright. He'd abandoned them both, he had to be one of the first to get to the airship.

But Weiss hadn't abandoned them. And, when he had arrived at the ship, there was already a horde of infected waiting for them. What if Weiss had been caught?

Then, he heard Jacob answer his scroll.

"Baby?" he said, obviously talking to Momo.

Then, to Jacob and Jacques' surprise, they heard Weiss' voice.

"Jacob!"

Jacob instinctively stood up as he heard her voice, especially how terrified she sounded. Jacques did the same as he thought he heard the sound of infected snarling in the background.

"Huh?" Jacob said. "Why are you answering? Where are you?"

"We're in the airship restroom!" Weiss replied.

"'Restroom'?" Jacob repeated. "Which hall?"

"Well... it's..."

"HALL 13!!!" Momo's horrified voice answered. "GET OVER HERE NOW!!!"

"MOMO!!!" Jacob said. "WAIT!!!"

But she had already hung up.

A concerned Jacques approached Jacob.

"Was that my kid?" he asked. "Is she okay?"

"Restroom," Jacob said. "Hall 13."

Jacques looked up at the door.

They were further into the airship. Hall 9.

"Gonna pass through?" Jacob said, noticing Jacques' determined expression. "Let's say you got through and rescued them. How do you get back?"

"In Hall 15," Sonic answered, "people are gathered there."

He had pulled a bag from the corner. He pulled it open, revealing sports tape, and fabrics they could use to cover their arms.

Sonic pulled one out, and began wrapping it around his arm.

Jacob nodded, forming a plan in his head.

They were in Hall 9. Four halls ahead, they could save Momo, Weiss, and anyone else with them. Two more halls, and they could reunite with the other passengers.

A risky plan, but it could work.

"Hall 9," Jacob said, "only four halls away. I'll lead," he turned to Sonic, "you in the middle," he turned to Jacques, "and you in the back. Block anyone attacking from the rear."

The lights shut off, just as the announcement had said.

They took their time in the darkness to cover their arms, Sonic preparing his baseball bat, and Jacques lifting the baton and shield Jacob had gotten while they were in the airport.

"Head of Schnee Dust Company, right?" Jacob asked Jacques.

He turned to him, nodding.

"You're clearly an expert at leaving useless people behind," Jacob said.

Jacques didn't reply. Though he wasn't discriminating Jacob for his faunus features, he still wasn't entirely sure what he thought of him. But that wasn't important. His daughter was in danger, and he knew he had no choice but to rescue her.

"Wait till the lights turn back on," Jacob said.

He stepped in front, Sonic moved behind at his left-hand side, and Jacques at his right.

The lights turned on, and they stepped into the next hall. The infected turned to them, snarling as their eyes settled on them.

No turning back now.

"Let's go..."